Nuts

I read somewhere not to feed your LO nuts 'cause of a chocking hazard, but I want to give my 14 month old some peanut half's. Do you think she is old enough now to eat them? When did you start feeding your child nuts?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 5:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't risk it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They say not until after 6 years and I think thats a good rule =)
    HWmomma2.2

Answer by HWmomma2.2 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I wouldnt risk it. Try the tiny tiny pieces like for ice cream topping instead of peanut halves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There's also the risk of your child having a severe allergic reaction. I've read 4 is the best age for whole nuts.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i think it depends on your child. my son is 22 months and one day got into a bag of peanut m&m's and now loves peanuts and has not once choked.
    rach1404

Answer by rach1404 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't give nuts to your child until they are old enough to let you know if there is a problem. Allergies can be bad with nuts.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Mine had them when they had their molars for chewing...about 18 months.
    Anonymous

• My LO is 15 months and I have been giving him nuts for a couple months. I don't hand him a fist full of nuts and say "Have fun with those." LOL I give him one and let him eat it, then give him another. Usually they come out whole in his diaper, but he likes them. Peanuts, cashews, pecans, etc.
    Anonymous

• Recommendations are just that - something they advise you to do/not do.

That said, I learned the hard way about nuts. My FIL was eating peanuts when DS was about 20 months old. FIL dropped a half a peanut, and my little scamp was on it before we could blink. He tried to eat it, but ended up choking on it. It seemed to take forever for the ambulance to arrive while I tried to clear his airway so he could breathe again. Watching them trying to clear it in the ambulance was hard, but not as hard as sitting through the surgery while they had to cut into his chest to remove it from his lung. He did recover, and is fine today (three and a half now), but he won't be getting nuts for quite a while yet, not even chunky peanut butter or ice cream with chopped nuts. It's just not worth the risk again to me.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt give them any,my baby is 16months and she choked once on some.they cant chew peanuts
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009