Birth Control/Breast feeding..kind of?

How fertile are you in the months after giving birth? I had my daughter 5 weeks ago (almost exactly). The dr. told us that as soon as the bleeding stops then intercourse was safe (infection wise) for us to resume. Around 3 weeks we started having intercourse again, but didn't use protection because I just assumed we were safe because I was breastfeeding. It's happened a few more times since then, until last night when I was reading the "What to expect after" part of the book..

SO..my question is how common is pregnancy right after you gave birth? And also, how many of you don't use bc because you are breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• we just had our first 3 months ago.. and i'm exclusively BFing, i also got on the mini pill though, because i dont want to chance it. my doc said bfing is about 87% effective birth control wise.. for the first 3 months, i guess after that it gradually decreases because your hormones start to level back out. i would ask your doc about the mini pill which is safe to take while bfing.

as far as fertility right after birth, i'm not completely sure, but i've heard you're super fertile...
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I got pregnant with number two when exclusivly breastfeeding my first. It is NOT a reliable form of birth control. It can cause you not to ovulate but sometimes you can ovulate and not bleed, so you just never know. If you don't want another one yet, be very careful and use a condom.
    Anonymous

• breastfeeding is not a reliable birth control, i have a friend that exclusively breastfed and thought that would work as far as bc is concerned, her kids are 11 months apart!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• why is this being posted in this category?
    Anonymous

• You are MORE fertile! I breastfed my first and someone told me the same thing...wrong! my boys are 12 months apart!
    Stacey833

Answer by Stacey833 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009