Empire State Building lit for China, drawing ire?

NEW YORK – Red and yellow lights shone from the top of the Empire State Building at dusk Wednesday, a tribute to communist China's 60th anniversary that protesters labeled "blatant approval" of totalitarianism and criticized as inappropriate for an icon in the land of the free.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/ap_on_re_us/us_empire_state_building_china

tyme4me2day

Asked by tyme4me2day at 5:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We better show them respect, they do own us.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We didn't do this on the 50th anniversary, so it begs to reason that we probably should not have done it on this one. I just can't, for the life of me, comprehend why those in charge of such things would ever think this is a good idea. How can they want to recognize the communist beginning in a country that restricted the size of families to the extent of "aborting" late term pregnancies or killing the 2nd child. The 2nd child was always the female even if she were born first. This way they "controlled" the population of the country. Or, had protests to the point that students camped in the square ending in this. It has become the iconic symbol to power and as it seems to be what BO wants and we are resisting hopefully not to the point of ......how far do we go?

1989 Tiananmen Square Protests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nXT8lSnPQ

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Maybe because they bailed our asses out and we are just showing them some respect. Lighten the fuck up! We allow them to celebrate the Chinese New Year here all the time I don't see what the big f-ing deal is. People are just getting paranoid and pussified.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I don't care if they "bailed our asses out" and NO I will NOT show them respect or "lighten the *f* up." You are an imbecile for thinking it's OK to honor and celebrate communism. If there are others like you, GOD HELP US! It' people like you that will help comrade BHO get his marxist agenda passed in our country. We're not going to "lighten up" and allow that to happen! Why don't you move to China since you obviously have no problem with communism, totalitarianism, brutality, repression, human rights violations, and torture. I better not hear one more person complain about the terrorists at GITMO being "tortured." Hypocrites!

Anonymous

• Why should we honor murder?

Why should we pay respect to a government that starved millions to death while it sat with stores of cereal ang grain?

When did we sink so low?

Your darn right, it made me mad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Excuse me anonymous but I was only seeing the cultural side. I thought that the OP was talking about the New Year not an anniversary of communism. Yeah that I don't understand.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I should've read the article first. =P
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009