I'm dating a Marine & I'm clueless about the Marines! Any advice or Info someone could share w/ me would be Great!

I've been seperated from my daughters dad for 5 months and have been dating a Marine about 3 months. Things are getting more serious between us (we just had our first "sleepover" if you catch my drift) He has told me a little bit about the marine and his friends that we hang out with frequently have told me a little bit too but I'm still pretty much in the dark. I've been told Marines are generally away from their families training or deployed a lot but that's about all I know.

Can anyone try to fill me in with how my and my daughter's life would be if My marine and I got married down the road? I jst want to make sure before i devote more time and heart intot his if it's going to be something i can live with. Some of his background info: he's been in for 7yrs, he's a seargant. Just got stationed in Jacksonville about a year ago. he's been to Iraq twice... Thanks for all your info and advice!

just_me_joy

Asked by just_me_joy at 5:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• There are groups that you can find that can help you with what ever specific questions you might have. Yes typically soldiers in general are away training, depending on their job, or MOS as it is called in the army, a lot. If they are combat arms then yes they will be gone quite a bit. I'm not sure how long Marine deployments are, I think they are only 6 months long, as apposed to the army's 1 year, to 15 month deployments. I would recomend you join a military group to have a marine spouse answer your questions better.
    Armymom134

Answer by Armymom134 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with joining a Marine group here. The training schedules depend on his MOS and his unit. Deployments are usually 7 months long. The everyday schedule (when not doing pre-deployment training) is PT in the morning, then a regular day's work. My husband usually came home for lunch or I took lunch to his shop if I didn't pack him one that morning. Off at 4 or 5 unless something came up. 96's are great. I wouldn't say my husband was away "a lot or even most of the time" It really just depends on what his job is. Mine was a boat mechanic. Marines are very loyal to the Corps & most things they do and a bit cocky too but they've earned it. Don't refer to him as a soldier, ever. If you do get married you can take a LINKS course that will give you a ton of info. Also get involved with the Key Wives Volunteer Network & his unit so you can make friends & learn about the lifestyle. PM me if you want more answered.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Bumpin My Question! Thanks for the Great Input so far! P.s. Can someone in a marines club invite me. I've tried to join a few but got no reply yet. Thanks Ladies!
    just_me_joy

Answer by just_me_joy at 3:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/MWUnleashed
    Armymom134

Answer by Armymom134 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2009