How can i get my daughter to stop pulling her hair?

she is almost 10 months old now and has a full head of hair. . . she has this new thing, she pulls her own hair. she pulls it so hard that she screams! i know it hurts her but she still does it anyway. I put it in a ponytail or pigtails and shell yank them and scream bc it hurts anyway, any good ideas on breaking this new trend of hers?

Mommy2Layla08

Asked by Mommy2Layla08 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• eek, sounds like what i did as a baby. my mom told me i used to pull on my hair and even rip some of it out. since she's so young try to distract her when you catch her doing this (if possible). then try and get her to focus on something else (like a toy or something). it might be nothing. i'm curious to know how often she does this and what's going on when she's doing this. is there some source of stress for her? reason i'm asking is cuz it could be her way of not being able to handle stressful situations. bring it up with her pediatrician and see what they say.
    Anonymous

• Not entirely sure if your baby is doing this for the same reason, but my mom told me when my sister was little she would pull her hair out. Well, she took her to the doctor to find out she was having head aches.
    Nicole1357

Answer by Nicole1357 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There is a rare medical condition that can cause a person to do this. May want to ask your pediatrician about it as I'm not sure how it's diagnosed. I do have a friend on here that has it. Just try to distract her when you see her doing it until you know if she has this condition or not.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Trichotillomania. That's what it's called when you can't help pulling out hair. Maybe you can research it and see what the web sites have to say about treating it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i thank you for all of your advice and to answer the stress question, there is just no way shes stressed out. i am a very loving stay at home mommy, i spoil her so i dont see it being that. i think she does it the most when it falls in her eyes and she relizes its there. if that makes sence. ? she sits very still while o do her hair. for examplr i usually let her brush her teeth and i put her hair in a ponytail she acts like im not even doing it. so i know im not hurting her or doing it tight or anything like that. however when i put her down to play shell leave it alone and not bother it. but if i like touch her head for any reason such as kissing her on the head or brushing her hair out of her eyes she reaches on top of her head to grab it. she has barley any hair in the back mostly just on top ( you can see a pic on my profile if you dont understansd what i mean ) it seems like shes does it when she relizes its there.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i dont know if you guys know wat i mean or not. i dont think she relizes that she is the one hurting herself. does that make sense? maybe knowing this while give you a diffrent opinion? thank you all!
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009