Do you ever just get SO irritated with your little ones?

I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time online, I work VERY hard to help support our family. Sometimes when I've had a bad day and am trying to do the housework or my homework, I just get so irritated with my 16 month old DD. I know I shouldn't and I feel bad afterwards, but I can't stand it. I have to go in the other room or tell her dad (my BF) that they need to leave for a while. She is going through this phase where she is whiny and she pulls on my clothes and gets angry with me when I don't pick her up. I can't stand this! What am I supposed to do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL I think this is normal!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yes, I get irritated. It is mostly limited to dirty diaper changes where he is crying and bucking off of the table, trying to turn over while I am struggling to get poop off of his behind and prevent him from sticking his hands and feet into it. Why, oh, why can't he just understand I am doing a GOOD thing for him? After all, he does come to me and requests to be changed. It is a rhetorical question, I know.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 6:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Take a moment to breathe. Sometimes taking a moment to yourself is a good idea. I would make sure you set some time for you and your dd. Sounds like you are really busy (not your fault) and she wants your attention. Little ones can be extremely demanding added with all the things going on in your life, it would be irritating for anyone. My best advice is to make sure you get a break even if its just a few minutes & the time with your DD without any distractions.
    Nicole1357

Answer by Nicole1357 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• only when im really trying to do something and he tries to get in my way i get irritated, but usually when i tell him 'honey mommy needs you to not do that' he'll listen.... most of the time ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We've all been there.
    mamasarias

Answer by mamasarias at 6:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Hell yes!! My 15 month old is in a "let's dump everything out and leave it all over the house" phase, and it's driving me insane! As soon as I pick up the mess in the livingroom, she's made another mess in the bedroom, etc. I'm cleaning all day long it seems. But I try to remember that play is a toddler's "work"-it's her way of learning about the world around her.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I call them mommy time outs. I go in the other room and usually play punt the pillow. Occasionally when daddy comes home, I meet him at the door with our DS and say take this and leave for half an hour. He usually take him to the park or out for ice cream and everyone is happy when we are back together again.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son did the same exact thing...until I realized that he just wanted to see his mommy. I was always on the go and when I got home, he would just act terrible and I realized he just wanted attention. Now, when I get home, I give him a good 5 monutes of "Mommy time" before I relax or wind down. This helped me out a LOT. Now when I come home, he runs to me and we usually just sit in front of the door and cuddle for a minute. After that, he goes and finds something to do, but he needs that time with me. Hope that helps!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Totally been there mama! (Just yesterday in fact). You've got the right idea though: take a time out for yourself. Let daddy or another family member/friend care for her for a bit so you can get a much needed break.
    Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We have had a couple of rough days here. We are teething and they have both cut tonight. Thank, God. Now my child will return to normal in a few days. I totally get it. I take my Mommy time in the morning before I go to work. I take 30 min and study and that is my "me"time. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009