What to do when you do not have enough fluid in the placenta?

A friend's niece was so excited this morning coz they were suppose to find out the gender of their baby. They were told that the baby is healthy but she does not have enough fluid in her placenta and that the baby will not make it. They were also not able to determine the sex.
They were ask to make a decision as soon as possible to terminate this pregnancy, she is 20 weeks. If she decide to keep it, the baby will be still-born.
She was told that the baby will not make it wither way.
We told her to consult with another doctor. The doctor she saw today was suppose to be a specialist.
Any recommendation you give I will forward to her.
This is their first baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• with my first pregnancy I had low amniotic fluid because of problems with the placenta. My doctors didn't help me much except to stress me out, accuse me of drinking and taking drugs (I was young and unmarried so it must be that not something medical right) and telling me I'd be lucky if my baby survived. I had non-stress tests done almost daily and ultrasounds almost as frequently. My girl was measuring much smaller then what she should have been. At about 35 weeks I was given steroids to mature her lungs. She was delivered a month early so she could grow outside the womb. She is 13 now and shows no affects of the earlier medical problems. . . Moral of the story, get a second or third opinion Just as a resource. . .  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/lowamnioticfluidoligohydramnios.htm

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I didnt realize that there was fluid in the placenta... it should be filled with blood vessels
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• How heartbreaking! :-( I am so sorry to hear that.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Sorry, I meant not having enough amniotic fluid for the baby to survive.
    Anonymous

• oh, that is different. Sometimes a placenta will not support the life of a fetus, on a rare occasion. I thought you might have meant that. It's grim.

Amnioinfusion might be an option. (?) She can try to drink almost ridiculous amounts of water~ that can help, too. (Or with an IV drip.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• does your friend smoke during pregnancy? im prety sure smoking can cause the placenta to stop producing fluid, i know a girl that happend to, she claimed it wasnt her smoking but she smoked her ewntire pregnancy and her placenta hadnt produced ANY fluids since she was 7.5-8 months pregnant i have no idea how the bay lived in her to 9 months.
    AmandaLeeds

Answer by AmandaLeeds at 3:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009