breastfeeding

i'm about to pop any day now and i'm planning on breastfeeding. this is my first baby and i pretty much have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to BF. just curiosity if my baby slept through most of the night (yeah right, just wishful thinking lol) would i have to wake her up to feed her? if not, would i have to wake up to pump? what happens when i plan on switching over to formula? do i have to slowly lean her off it with some breast milk and some formula or just switch right over? i'm lost lol.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In most cases, you do not have to wake a sleeping baby to feed him.
    I do not know if you will need to pump at night or not. ...chances are, probably not. but every woman is different.
    And i do not know about the switching to formula. ...but why would you want to?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Get in contact with the LLL

outstandingLove

• With a newborn you're more likely to not have to wake up your baby for a feeding. If you plan to nurse, your newborn will need to nurse on demand ( basically all the time ) in order for you to establish your milk supply. Odds are, you won't have to pump to stimulate your milk supply because your baby will let you know when she is wanting to nurse.
    As for switching over to formula, I think you should try to slowly wean her off it. Your baby doesn't know what she is getting before a feeding/bottle. It may take her a while to get used to it and it may not. Or she may prefer the formula over breastmilk even; some babies do. You could quit nursing cold turkey and your milk supply will go away. Either of those methods to switch over are fine, and please don't feel guilty about it. There is no need to. Your baby will still be fine. :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my baby wakes up every 3 hours, even when I brought her home. The lady at the hospital to me not to let her go any longer then 4 hours without feeding. I breastfeed, and believe me you baby will wake up to let you know when he/she is hungry. and you'll end up getting use to it. your body will wake you up. my baby is only 3 weeks and my body wakes me up every 3 hours to feed her, he usually wakes up shortly after me. just ask the nurse at the hospital, or they will just tell you.bigger babies usually eat more often
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I woke up my first to feed him because I thought that's what you had to do. (Not that I had to do it often) I don't know if it was directly related but he was a terrible sleeper for 2 years. My second I decided to let sleep as long as she wanted at night. I got yelled at by a nurse for letting her sleep for 4 hours when she was a day old, but she was fine, she was great nurser and a great sleeper too. So unless your baby is really tiny or has some medical problem I would say don't wake to nurse.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• As far as weaning them to formula, I just don't know. I tried it with my son and failed. I was absolutely determined my daughter was going to take formula so I tried it from the very beginning. No luck with her either. Part of it was probably that I was home with them all day, it might normally be different if the baby is with someone else, but not always. my mom breastfed and pumped for me while I was in daycare full time as a baby. She tried weaning me to formula at 6 months and couldn't do it, but her milk dried up in the process. I ended up starving myself for 2 or 3 days before the doctor finally had me put on cows milk. Hopefully that won't happen to you, I'm just saying, in my experience weaning to formula can't always be done.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Oh and I think it would be best when you try to wean, to do it slowly mixing formula with breastmilk at first so she could get used to the taste.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The reason for waking a sleeping baby to eat would be if he was very jaundiced and sleeping because of weakness. Under normal circumstances, the baby will know when he needs to eat. If you nurse on demand, your baby will get enough and you will make enough.

I don't know about switching to formula. I refused to give either of my children any formula.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• kellymom.com is a great resource!
    Anonymous

• Breast feeding HURTS. Just so you know, whoever says it doesnt is lying. Imnot trying to scare you because you shoudl know the pain DOES go away, for me the pain stopped at about 1 1/2 months of age - but then she refused to breast feed and i actually dried up.
    The breastfeedin hurt so bad that i HAD to formula feed in between, which is ok to do. I did half and half, half th day i breast fed and half i formula fed. But if you decide to do both, you need to pump as much as POSSIBLE, even if you arent feeding it to yur baby. if you do not keep the flow coming on a regular bases you WILL dry up and wont be able to feed yur baby anymore.
    if the baby is sleeping theres no need to wake them to feed them unless they are going like 7 hrs and still havent woken up.
    your baby will wake themselves up when they are hungry so if they are sleeping, just let them sleep they will elet you know when they are hungry by crying.
    AmandaLeeds

Answer by AmandaLeeds at 3:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009