is it safe or dangerous to go to a hospital to visit someone when pregnant?

i was jus wondering cuz i found out a auntie that i am very close to is in the hospital...she has a tumor and it got infected and well i was curious if it would be ok to go to the hospital or problem smarter to stay away from the hospital? only cuz im concerned about germs and getting sick....i dont want to take that risk if its not a good idea to go but id like as many opinions as i can get cuz i do want to go visit my auntie.

kuuipo317

Asked by kuuipo317 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would try to avoid the hospital as much as possible if i were pregnant. However, if someone i loved and cared about was dying or seriously ill or injured i would probably go visit.

Are you birthing in a hospital? If so, then why would you be scared to go to one now? The baby is protected by your body.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I work in a hospital, not just one area the whole place. I work in the pharmacy but deliver meds and i'm 40 weeks and 1 day lol I didn't get sick . I would kind of stay away from the ER but other than that i think that it is perfectly fine to go see her. I hope she gets better.
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Go, but don't enter thru the ER, find a main entrance. Try to touch as little as possible and make sure you don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth with you are there...and wash your hands.
    Anonymous

• Hospitals are kept well sanitized. If you want to visit somebody there and you are worried about germs or getting sick, you could wear a mask and make sure you wash your hands a lot. I totally understand your concern, but I think you would be fine.
    Anonymous

• Mandy, because you work at a hospital your body is used to many of the different germs that you get exposed to while there.

anon 24, hospitals are sanitized a lot, but that does not mean there are no germs. The hospital is one of the germiest places in the world. That's where all the sick people are. And it's not like they can sanitize the air.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the anon at 6:24. I would touch NOTHING....wash your hands immediately and probably even shower. I would try to not stay long either.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• as for the first comment yea the baby is in me and protected but if im sick then thats not too smart cuz whatever effects you or effects the baby and i dont feel like getting sick and having to tough it out with no meds cuz you cant have certain meds when your preg. so before you get smart think. as for everyone else thank you for your opinions. one thing though most of you say dont go to ER well thats where she is gonna be at for the next 5 days. so.....idk....and she is a very close loved one....i was raised around her for so many yrs and she's my favorite auntie. so thats why im so torn. i mean if its gonna put me at huge risk to get sick then of course im gonna put baby first. but i do wanna see her
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• anon 28, I did not say there were no germs. Germs are everywhere. I said that hospitals have a good track record of trying to keep things clean. If she was concerned about catching something through the air and she really wanted to visit a relative in the hospital, she could always wear a mask and wash her hands well.
    Anonymous

• Hospitals are breeding grounds for Strep, MERSA and LOTS of infectious things. Use the hand sanatizers they have all over the hospital try not to touch hand rails and wear a mask you can usually get at the check in desk to be safe.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They held our Lamaze classes in the hospital, so I don't think it would be too dangerous. That said, take a little travel-size of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer gel in your purse and use it after you leave before you touch anything in your car. You might want to change clothes after you get home too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009