Dry skin and makeup don't mix???

Every winter my face gets really dry and every time I apply makeup my skin starts to flake and peel and I don't even want to leave the house cause it looks awful. Everyone was telling me that if I put lotion on my face every day that it would take care of the dry skin. Boy were they wrong. Last winter, I started applying lotion to my face at night and the next day my skin would flake after applying makeup. Then I decided to apply the lotion right before I did my makeup and it still flaked. Someone PLEASE tell me the solution to getting rid of dry flaky skin on my face so my makeup will look great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i have this problem too. Cetaphil lotion worked for me. I put it on at night before i go to bed and before I apply my makeup. Also, might want to think about what kind of face wash you are using...that could be contributing to the dryness.

Anonymous

• I have super dry dkin too. Regular lotion would just feel like it would sit on my face, like my face was still tight feeling........ok that sounds dirty! lol I do not sell Mary Kay but I tried it for the first time 20 years ago and I never have bought anything since. I use chapstick all the time and I have lotion for my hands stashed in every room of my house. My hair looks great all the time too because it is not oily, its dy lol...Hope this helps.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• the only thing I have found that works consistently is vasaline at night before bed. Its nasty and slimy but my face is good for a week or so after. I do make sure to change the pillowcases the next day and usually take a long/late shower so DH doesn't see me come to bed lol.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Are you exfoliating your face? I have a problem from time to time, especially around my nose and brows..because of facial oils and dry skin. I use baby soap, and sugar as a facial/body scrub every other day or so to remove the skin that is already dry. Cup your hand, then fill with baby soap, add enough sugar to make a paste, scrub your face focusing on any especially dry areas, then when you get outta the shower apply your regular lotion. I like one called Enamour, from the tanning salon, it has silicone infusion, making it feel more like a powder smooth finish, instead of oily or greasy. I also apply lotion a few minutes before I apply my makeup, to allow it to completly dry.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with PP that you probably need some exfoliation to go along with moisturizing. In the winter my skin gets drier and I use a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation. Olay has one that is awesome.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Try the AM/PM Solutions line from Avon. Its been very popular. The thing is its going to take more than just lotion on very dry skin. You need to make sure to use a cleanser that doesn't strip your skin of its natural oils but also isn't greasy. Try the Solutions a.m./p.m. Maximum Moisture Refreshing Day Cleanser and Makeup Removing Night Cleanser (search under product number 793-552) and the Solutions a.m./p.m. Maximum Moisture Duo 793-533 at www.youravon.com/dhullum use coupon code fsany for free shipping. You'll find that the makeup isn't causing the peeling that its just making it more obvious! I would suggest a mousse foundation for you which will help! I use the Beyond Color Line Softening Mousse Foundation from Avon in the winter. Email me for questions! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2009