Csection VS. VBAC

I am having my second child and choosing to have another Csection after I had one with my first child, but people are telling me not too because I wont be able to breastfeed him/her because of the bonding afterwards. I had problems with my first where her heart rate was declining and had to perform an emergency ceserian and was only able to breastfeed for 3 months the doctors told me it was because of the stress during the pregnancy. But I wanna know everyones stories. Has anyone had a csection and then choose to have another and did you have problems or were you able to bond with your child as if you delivered it vaginally?
Thanks

calista03

Asked by calista03 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would only have another cesarean done if absolutely necessary. Considering the circumstances.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Ive had 3 c/sections and bonded excellently with all of them. No issues whatsoever in that department.

You do what you feel is best for you and your child and screw the others who poopoo your decisions. This is about YOU and YOUR child and the bond will be there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• What circumstances, there is circumstances both ways? JW?
    calista03

Answer by calista03 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can breastfeed after a C-Section. Tell the nurses you want to breastfeed in the first hour after birth. Very important! Tell them no bottles or pacifiers. Very important!

Bonding is not why you should breastfeed. Breastfeeding has lifelong health consequences for you and your baby. It best for your baby, you, your family, society, and the environment. Breastfeeding does give you hormonal advantages that help with attachment formation (aka bonding).

Doctors know little about breastfeeding. Pregnancy stress does not make you only able to breastfeed 3 months. If you need help with breastfeeding to to the experts - La Leche League or lactation consultants.

If you want a VBAC it would be good to hire a Doula.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i had my second c-sect 6 weeks ago today and i bottle feed but my son cried if anyelse but me hold him and i dont hold him oftenuless he is fussy or needs to eat....i am his favorite person....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• well i personally think vbac is wonderful. i haven't had a c-section but i am pretty confident that if i had that i would try vaginal. BUT i also think it is possible to have a health breastfeeding relationship following c-section. it is tougher of course. i have a friend who had a c-section with twins (there was some medical complication that led her to decide to have a c-section) and nursed them for 14 mos. then she attempted VBAC but it didn't work out (i think vbac is successful about 75% of times, so she fell in the unlucky 25%), and now she is nursing her 1 mo old. just do your research on both VBAC and repeat c-section, and how bfing relates to both.

good luck. i know it's a tough decision :)
    Anonymous

• oh also right after her youngest was born, her husband had the baby for skin to skin contact until she was out of surgery. i'm not sure if he did that with the twins too.
    Anonymous

• I'm having the same considerations. I'm due in Jan. My son was a c-section (planned because he was footling breech). For me it would be easier to have a second c-section from the point of caring for my 2 year old but I'm leaning more towards VBAC because of the shorter recovery time. I found this site pretty good as a resource. It gives pros & cons for both. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vbac/VB99999/PAGE=VB00001

Oh, I wasn't able to BF right after the c-section because of throwing up from the meds (I know TMI) and I was still able to successfully bond with and bf my son.  so don't let that be the deciding factor

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can breastfeed after a c-section. I have not had a c-section, but my friend had 2 and breastfed both of her children.
    However, I STRONGLY urge you to learn everything you can about vbac before making a decision. Your risks go up after every c-section for you and your baby, and any future babies you carry. Conversely, your risk of rupture is less then 1%, wheras a woman who has not had a c-section ALSO has a risk of rupture of less then 1%. That makes it statistically the same risk. You do have options, and they are safer then you think. You just have wade past the fear and make decisions based on facts, not convience.
    I wish you the best. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My friend didnt have any connection to her c-section born baby, she went to counceling and concluded it was because of how the birth went. She never really felt like the baby was HERS to love because she never felt like she even gave birth to the baby, they just cut it out of her like a bag of potatos (her words not mine) and there was this baby.

Also i know that if you take a baby out of you before your water breaks, that CAN be bad for the baby. The reason your water breaks in the 1st place is because when the babie's lungs are fully developed, they release a hormone that causes the water to break, but if you c-section the baby out before the water breaks then you are taking the baby out before their lungs are fuilly developed, which isnt always that bad for a baby but some of them end up having problems.
    Anonymous