A question to all about marriage.

I know there are many Christians who believe in a more traditional marriage. Meaning that, they would do almost anything they could before getting divorced or maybe (for the select few) divorce is not even an option.
So, Christians, if you could please state your denomination and what YOUR grounds would be for divorce and how that is tied into your religion?
Pagans, i know many of you believe in the traditional 1yr 1day handfasting. But tell me what your thoughts are on a legal binding marriage and on what grounds you might get a divorce? And please tell me what path you are on as well.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm agnostic and I do think that many people jump into divorce to easily rather than working on the marriage when things get hard. But adultery, abuse are more than valid reasons for divorce, and would be pretty much the only reasons for me to divorce. But then I'm very happily married.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You could call me Eclectic Wiccan or IndoWiccan...either works.

DH and I are married in a traditional sense, not handfasted(although Id love to do that for like our 10th anniversary or something like that).

Divorce is not an option for either of us unless the other party does something horrible like big time abuse(and thats abuse of the spouse and/or children) or cheating.

I think most things can be worked out through communication and DH and I are blessed to have great communication.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am an Eclectic Pagan Witch.
    And I truly believe that marriage is not something to be taken lightly. I believe it takes a LOT of work and sometimes hearache.
    If i were to divorce my husband it would have to be because he was beating the children, or murdered a family member, or if he abused me and counseling did not help, or if he had a major chornic addiction that made it impossible for him to be a good partner and assist in providing and counseling did not help. (that's right, counseling before divorce).

I believe that too many people are running away from their problems instead of trying to fix them. I see many many questions on here about how some womans husband cheated on her and she wants to know what to do. And i think it's very sad that 95% of the women here tell her that she needs to leave. But that's not the only answer. If she is willing to fix it, and he is willing to fix it ...then it is probably fixable.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My religious beliefs are eclectic for the most part, but I do consider myself a christian as that is how I was raised... I was 15 when I got married, and of course, I got married for all the wrong reasons, I have always been a very spiteful person and when my mom told me no, I said yes, so... I ended up getting a divorce a few years after that. So I believe that it is perfectly acceptable to get a divorce if 1) You were married for all the wrong reasons... 2) You got marred WAY too young... 3) He or she has been unfaithful to you... or 4) He or she has lost all care for you and has no desire to do anything about it.

PrettyTNO

Answer by PrettyTNO at 6:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm not trying to argue with you or bash you PrettyTNO. I know that we all make mistakes. But it is my belief that marriage is much to important and special to do it for all the wrong reasons. IMHO part of the problem is that many people don't treat it (marriage) as sacred as it should be treated.

Also, what is your idea of "WAY" too young? and who decides that? I feel like i got married at a very young age, but i was 21 (and now i'm 22 :P)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Oh no hon, I do not feel bashed at all, I completely respect your opinions and views :)
    I believe that WAY too young would be when you need your parents signature, if you are old enough to go off and get married without a signature, you're old enough to be married.
    And I believe the same as you, it just took me a little longer. I am married to my second husband and I now know what marriage truly is and what it takes and I am very happy even though it is a day to day work. I am 24 now, so, it really took me some growing up and meeting my husband(of now) to really hit me hard with what I need to be doing and not doing when it comes to making a marriage work.

PrettyTNO

Answer by PrettyTNO at 6:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm Seventh-Day Adventist.
    I believe that the only grounds for divorce is adultery. (Matthew 19:3-9) If an unbelieving spouse is set on divorce,a believer is not bound to that marriage.(1 Corinthians 7:15) My husband and I have decided that divorce is not an option for us under any circumstances.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I do not hve any particular religion, but I can tell you infidelity would be one thing, I would not forgive in my 38 year marriage, he knows it and I know it.

Answer by older at 7:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm eclectic Wiccan, Though we were not hand fasted. We had a normal marriage at the court house. Basically a divorce would only happen if there was adultery or some loss of respect in the marriage. Abuse would certainly end it. If one of us are unhappy we can certainly want out. But that hasn't happened and I don't foresee it being a problem in the future. We can certainly work out any problems that arise. To be honest however, we do not fight. In our 11 yr marriage (Almost 12 now) we've only argued once. And that wasn't really a down and out fight.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• To me, if one of you doesn't want to be married there is no point to stay that way. I don't like the idea of devorce and I got married "forever." BUT, if my husband ever wanted a devorce I would never fight it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009