Is it possible to be "just friends" with a man you have been in love with?

Was in a relationship with a man from my past. Reconnected in the past year and feelings still exist. We know it is not possible for us to be together right now (distance and children and issues with exspouses), but want to try and keep communication lines for future contact. Unfortunately, this contact brings with it a resurgance of feelings. Any advice or experiences of this nature?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• If neither of you are married I don't see any problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It'll be hard, you're going to still have feelings for him and they are going to come out full force when you talk to him. You can be "just friends" but you're still going to love him. I think in the end you're either going to be together or its going to be too hard to handle. I wish you all the luck though!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 6:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It can be hard, but it's possible.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i agree with both responses above.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• or all three i guess! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• oh I have been thier done that, its hard if old feelings get brought up you can have an emotional affair which could leave you very dissatisfied with you currant life. It almost ruined my marrige, I can not talk to him any more because of it. and I miss him, I miss the friend ship but it is so easy to cross the line. It will cause nothing but heart ache
    Anonymous

• As long as you're both on the same page, you should be fine. I told my bff that was a guy that I was in love with him and he was flattered but it wasn't gonna go anywhere, so we stayed friends until I scrwed it up by pushing again after he had drawn the line. Just hear what he's really saying and good luck.
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Possible but not probable

Answer by admckenzie at 7:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Nope. Why can't ya'll be together now?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The exwife is back in the picture and he feels an "obligation" to her even though they arer divorced. Still has feelings for her but also for me (for very different reasons). He wants his cake and the cookies too. Want to stay friends because it took us a long time to find each other again. We text daily and talk periodically but sometimes topics skirt on more than friendship.
    Anonymous