HELP! Please ladies calm my fears!

My husband and i are TTC!!!! Which we are thrilled about, but im totally freaked out about the morning sickness. i have heard so many horror stories about women being so sick all day long and continously throwing up for the whole 9 mths. This freaks me out, plus i need to be able to continue to work! I know everyone is diff. and that it will be more than worth it at the end but this still freaks me out! any comforting thoughts?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What you are talking about is a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum, it is NOT common. Most mothers have varying degrees of simple morning sickness, usually only in the first trimester, and with varying degrees of severity, from mild nausea to the occasional barf! DON'T listen to horror stories, every mother has at least one, and they love to tell them to expectant mothers. You need to remember that most of those women had more than one child and if it was that bad, they wouldn't have repeated the experience. Also our wonderful bodies are designed to grow and birth babies in the most wonderful way, and although there may be days of some discomfort, you may find being pregnant a time of glowing health and feeling better than ever before in your life. Good luck and don't be afraid.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am 38 weeks along with my 3rd. Out of all of my pregnancies I've thrown up once. And the reason i threw up was because I took some pain meds for a head ache way too late in the headache stage. I was nauseated and tired but never really sick. So there is hope. With this pregnancy none of my first trimester symptoms where that bad.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I had bad morning sickness for the first 16 weeks or so, and then again shortly before I went into labor. I threw up right before I started pushing. The bad news is it really sucks while you're sick, but for the vast majority it does go away. The good news is that there are a myriad of ways to try and resolve why you're getting sick, from eating crackers as soon as you wake up to getting acupressure bands that you keep on all day (which worked for me). If you're really bad, then you can get a prescription. I worked all the way up until the Friday before I went into labor, and even had a large dinner party for my husband's birthday the night before I went into labor. And even though I complained bitterly while I was sick, my son is soooo worth it!

Another tip-- if you work yourself up, you will have a self-fulfilling prophecy and will make yourself sick. So take the attitude of "go with the flow" and you'll be ok!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i never had morning sickness
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I had 6 pregnancies and never threw up.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• its different for every body i was told many stories of pregnancy but i was blessed with no morning sickness yeyey i never threw up lol....
    laly87

Answer by laly87 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I never had it. ever.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i only had mild morning sickness. i only vomited 2x, in the same day. and it was because i had the mild nausea that i had for a few weeks, and then i got a cold and cough, and all of the coughing plus the nausea made me throw up. other than that i really felt ok most of the time.

i was however very very tired for a couple of months, so hopefully you can get plenty of rest. 12+ hours was how much i wanted. DH and i are TTC so i'm really nervous about being so tired again since i now also have my son to take care of. and i work full time.

best wishes!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2009