how long should i wait to breastfeed after a drink?

Tonight im going to enjoy a drink nothing strong just a mikes hard lemonade....i dont even think ill finish it lol. I am breastfeeding my daughter how long do i have to wait to breastfeed her and should i pump and dump first?

babyjohnsmommy

Asked by babyjohnsmommy at 7:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you only consume 1 beverage, you do not have to wait or pump and dump.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If you're really worried, go get one of those test strips from the baby store that will test your milk to see if there is any alcohol in the breastmilk. You'll probably be jus fine, but just to be safe, why not?
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You don't have to wait after a drink or two. Pumping and dumping doesn't work. Alcohol goes away in your milk just like it does in your blood. It isn't stored in your milk or breasts.

Have fun!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My Lac consultant and pediatrician told me that if I feel the symptoms of alcohol, I should wait until they are gone before nursing but I only need to pump and dump if I am knee knockin drunk until the symptoms are gone as the alcohol burns up before it gets to the milk...Don't know how true that last part is but I always stopped at 1 drink anyway.
    Anonymous

• One drink is fine. *unless, that one drink gets you wasted*. General rule: 1 to 2 drinks is ok to nurse, more then that, wait 2-3 hours per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I was told to breastfeed immediately before having a drink and by the time it's time to bf again,it should be out of my system.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• if you are just having one drink.....then yoy are okay. i really dont think you need to pump and dump. it does not store up in your milk...it leaves the body. have fun!!
    possummom

Answer by possummom at 9:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009