Its so hard to teach my son! please help needed.

My 3 1/2 year old son cant seem to count to 10 right and I feel like a bad mother. Is there any toys or anything that can teach him? or t.v shows? anything will help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is only 3. Stop trying to teach him before you turn him off on learning. He has a lot of time to learn to count to 10. The only reason you would be a bad mother is trying to teach him before he is developmentally ready and then thinking he is not smart and you are not good.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i did flash cards but swear that was boring for him, but he likes watching dora and that did help ( he could count to 5 in spanish better then english lol ) so we started watching cailou and we would count together with cailou he now can count to 13 ( he will be 4 in nov ) and when we go to the super market we count the isle...so i will ask what number are we in he will say 7..and at the rigister same thing what number are we in...2...ok then weres 8?...he wil point to 8 and so forth...i also use cookies...u can have 2 cookie.....1 milk..it will sink in dont worry. he will catch on your not a bad mama...xo
    Anonymous

• my son learned to count a long time ago and you will never guess how,when he started walking we would walk up and down the stairs and i would count for him(each step) and eventually he learned i did it just for fun not really for learning but he picked it up.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I don't know if this will help but my son was having trouble counting the teen numbers. He would count 1-12 fine and then say 14, 17, 19, 20. I would try again and would say 15, 14, 17.
    So anyway I decided to just take it really slow and I spent one day on 11 and 12, then the next day we practiced counting to 13, and the next 2 days we counted to 13 again. I taped number flashcards up to the wall and we would count those together, then I would point out the 13 and work on counting 13 things. That was a few days ago and today he counted all the way to 20 with no mistakes multiple times. I don't mean I was spending a whole lot of time on it, but some time each day. So if I were you I would try that starting at one and see if it helps.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Get construction paper lay the pieces of paper on the floor with numbers written on them and make a game out of it. Once he jumps on a number he has to tell you what it is and you do the same. Make learning fun. It worked for me with numbers, shapes and colors.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well, I always find my 3 1/2 yr old counting to 20 something when he is watching Sesame Street!! Leapfrog also has a DVD collection that helps him learn numbers and how to count. You usually can find DvDs at Wal-Mart in the movie section for kids; they are like $7.50-$12.00. Another thing that I find useful is incorporating counting and number recognition in everyday life.

Have your son: 1)when you reward him, have him pick out two cookies OR 2)instruct him to press the number buttons on the microwave

You can find really great toys and books that interest kids his age at www.schoolbox.com(check to see if there is a local store near you)

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• How are you trying to teach him? preschoolers learn by best when they can explore and experience. Make it fun. Play hide and seek. Have him hide and you count LOUDLY to 10. Let him take his term as "seeker." He'll pick it up.

Build a rocket ship out of a big cardboard box. Count down to launch.

Read Chicka-Chicka 1-2-3 and other number books.

Sing rhymes and songs of the "1,2 Tie my shoe" ilk.

dole out small snacks and count the pieces (pretzels, cheerios, etc) as you go.

Play hopscotch

Go for a walk and search out numbers - "can you find the number 1?" For now stay in order and help him search. you'll find them on street signs, house numbers, license plates, etc

Above else, relax. He's 3. He doesn't HAVE to know this right now. Let him learn at his own pace and don't press. Learning should be fun - not laborious.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Counting isn't as important as number recognition, so don't sweat it.

He's only three. He should be playing and having fun. If you want to "teach" him, then as you are playing with him...stack blocks and count if you want him to count first.

Get the blocks with letters and numbers on them...teach recognition..."put the 3 block here!!" "where did that 5 block go?"
    Anonymous

• Maybe try a wooden numbers puzzle or the kind that you can play with in the bath, so he has lots of ways to work with the numbers. My son learns well by holding things in his hands. Also, you could slow it down and just start with 1 -3 for several weeks. Always go back and make sure he has the first ones really down before adding one more number at a time.

Also, Baby Genius has a cute video (Favorite Sing-a-Longs) with a catchy numbers song.

Enjoy the moment too, I miss the days when my son would count his fingers totally out of order. Now that he has learned it, that won't happen again. Each stage is so precious, you know it will catch on eventually when he is ready!
    InGratitude

Answer by InGratitude at 4:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009