people keep stealing my apples!

I have an apple tree in my fenced-in backyard. It is reachable from the sidewalk, and everyday I see people picking apples off my tree, from teenage kids to old ladies, and a lot of dog walkers. I'm a very generous person who would encourage people to take what they want if they asked, but people taking without asking seems so rude to me! Am I wrong here? Would you make a comment to people doing this or just let it be? I don't know why this is getting to me so much.

betheroo

Asked by betheroo at 7:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Put a nice little sign on your tree saying please don't pick my apples. People probably don't think there is anything wrong.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i agree but my sign would say "if you ask i wont be mad"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes! i would be a little ticked. i guessim just a very territorial person.lol so i definitly know what you mean. i would put a sign up too. if dont want people to pick your apples then write what gailll suggested,.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 7:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i agree put a nice sign up...please dont pick apples....but ask me its ok..i understand i had a rose bush that i fought with to grown roses took me 2 years finally a couple roses..and people would walk by and oick the roses.. i had to put a sign up asking please dont pick the roses..it did work..and my walk way looks nice. (: i would love an apple tree though...can i have an apple please????
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• "Apples, Apples Everywhere, My Garden tree with you I share."
    if you don't mind, them let your neighbors know that you know and you don't mind - you'll be creating good will that will last for as long as you live there. Better to make friend than enemies.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You might need to go and pick the ripe apples on a daily or weekly basis. So people will not be able to steel them.JMO

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Do you eat them all? All the apples that your tree produces..do you use every single one of them or give them away to someone who can? Or do some of them fall off & rot? If you use 100% of those apples (or give them to someone of your choosing) then I'd say put up a sign, if not why be so greedy about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i admit it, i'm an apple stealer, and a pear stealer and peaches and pecans hopefully soon. i don't know what comes over me. i used to steal corn and watermelons but my stuffy ol man made me stop. so i'll apologize for everyone that's stealing your apples, we just can't help ourselves. but if you had a sign up i might think twice before snatching one, or 20 for a pie. oh and pumpkins, i steal pumpkins too. God help me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Could you prune the tree back so that it no longer is reachable from the sidewalk? Or could you put an extension on your fence so that people cannot reach over it to take your apples?

Personally, I wouldn't care as long as I had enough for my family's needs.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yeah, that's the thing....we do use them all. We have only one tree and it's fairly small. My family all eat a few a day this time of year, and I make tons of pies and make as much applesauce as I can. The rest we give to friends and family. So it's not that I want to keep it all for us....if someone were to ask I'd gladly let them take some. It's that it's rude to take something without asking. I'd rather the apples to go someone I know or someone who is at least courteous enough to ask.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 8:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009