How do you think schools should handle bullies at any age?

Thee425

Asked by Thee425 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in

• I feel that they should get those kids into counseling. If a kid is bullying another kid it's because the bullier has some issues that need to be worked out.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's amazing how scared these kids are to tell an adult...and it seems if they tell there are no consequences anyway. I was bullied in middle school but it wasn't that bad. I think schools should take this more serious and if they don't it's up to us the parents to make them bottom line.
    Anonymous

• First off we need to make sure if our child is a victim of bullying that they know its okay to tell and that they should tell, that they shouldnt take it, for instance when my dd was in kindergarten there was a boy that kept touching her but and trying to touch her chest, she kept telling the teacher but the teacher didnt do anything so one day she told the boy if you touch me again im going to pop you in the nose (and this was after many discussions about what to do about it and my husband finally said just pop him in the nose and he ll stop we dont normally advocate violence but this had been going on all year and he was frustrated with the stress it was causeing her and this was after she had been sexually abused) he didnt stop so she turned around and popped him and when she told the principal why she didnt get in trouble, anyway my point was that our children need to learn early that they dont have to take bullying
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• and then we as parents need to make it clear tot he schools that bullying is not acceptable and say if often and loud, and there is a difference between harmless teasing and actual bullying (not that i agree with teasing either) the schools need tomake sure that all teachers take reports of bullying as seriously as they do if they actually see it. many kids dont report it cause the teachers dont seem to take it seriously if they dont actually see it. and the bullies need to have some sort of counseling either in school or out to find out the base cause of the bullying.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Those kids need harsher consequences. I think First offense you get suspended. Second offense they get kicked out of school. No if's or buts or what. I think it ridiculous that this is still going on in schools. Kids should feel safe in school not scared or worried about when they will be getting the next beating or getting verbally assaulted. Its time for that crap to STOP.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 8:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Our school has a strict no bullying policy ..we have to sign something in the beginning of each year ...both the parents and the kids have to sign. 2 years ago some brat (and no I don't feel bad calling him a brat) threatened my daughter with a blood bath. (he said he wanted to slice her throat with a knife) How many 7 year olds do you know that talk like that? I found out it was an ongoing issue from the time he started Kindergarten and he had half ass parents. Any way, because of his threat the school police were called and he was expelled from school because of that and other things he had done (grabbing girls privates, vicious name calling). That kid has serious issues ..whether it be the crappy parenting, stuff he's seen at home, or whatever ..but no teacher was able to help him and he shouldn't be in the school!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Our school district has a strict Zero Tolerance "for fighting" - if a bully jumps on your child - you child gets detention for getting beat up - ugh. Had this happen to my boy when he was in 6th grade - being one of the smaller boys, he was definitely susceptible, then it happened - I was so furious when I found out that my son was gonna have to go to "alternative school" because he got thrown around a room by a boy who was almost the size of my husband -
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• We are struggling with this at our school. It 's not out of hand, but it does happen. We have a strict policy about it, but unfortunately the "good" kid gets punished as well if he/she defends themselves. You are supposed to report the bully as soon as an incident occurs - if it gets physical and the victim defends him/herself, they are suspended or paddled as well. The main problems, IMHO, is that kids are afraid to report bullies - afraid that they will get picked on or that it will make the situation worse. It is our responsibility as parents to make sure our kids know to report any type of that behavior to a trusted teacher, or at least to tell you about it. I haven't faced it with my own child, except on a very small verbal level, but have seen it in action in my class. I think the punishment should be severe and not waiver, regardless of who the parents are. I can't stand a bully - it literally makes me sick!

momofroni

Answer by momofroni at 9:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• my daughter is 4 year old and this boy in her school hits her. Just yesterday she told me that he hit her in the stomach and it still hurts her. me and my husband called the school. what pisses me of is that they don't do nothing. I feel like smacking this kids oof course i don't but his parents don't educate him. I am a fraid tha the will hit her again. I feel like calling her mom and making her pay for the doctor were he hurt her,Like this she will learn to control her child.
    anna115

Answer by anna115 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have a sense of disgust everytime this subject comes up. My son was bullied. Our school has a zero tolerance policy, with NO guidlines. I agree with outstandinglove, these kids need councling, which is what i told them. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was done for my son. He didn't tell about the bullying, b/c if he did, then he got time out too for tattling, they said. It was the teachers idea that if one child hit another, then they both get time out to "work out thier problem". HA, what a F joke. It was not my son's problem that another would punch him and knock him down from behind! And my son was the one interogated over and over by several teachers, and the principal, yet no one ever talked to the boy that hit him (daily). My son was scared to tell me b/c he was being put in time out for it, so he thought he was doing something wrong! We clarified this since, but i'm outraged at the way the whole was handled by the school.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009