DH and I are considering becomeing foster parents

But all we hear are horror storys about kids who are violent and kids who's parents decide at the last min to not let them be adopted. Does anyone know any good storys, or are perhaps foster parents themselves and can give the good and the bad together?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 7:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know any stories personally but I have heard a few from friend of friends. You just have to be really strong, sometimes those parents do clean up or do what they have to do to get there kids back. Its not always the case and thats why its so sad that so many people are discouraged from doing this and so many children go with out happy homes. I think if your strong take the chance. If we had the room and the we stayed in one place long enough (we are military) I would definatly give it a shot. Good luck!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My great aunt and her husband were foster parents and fostered over 300 children during they years they did it. She said she would always accept the kids that no one else would take. She also would keep the newborns for a few weeks after birth before they went to their adoptive parents in case the bm decided to change her mind. I don't know any stories beyond that but it sounds tough but if that is what you feel is your calling, follow it! I hope to convince my husband to be one in a few years but we'll see. My aunt says it takes a lot of love and a lot of self discipline to love the children and show them kindness but not to get attached to them as you do your own kids. She made a scrapbook page for each kid that they took care of. I hope this works out for you if you decide to do it!!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009