Are there any pre-Vatican II Catholics out there?

What was the purpose of slapping the kid at confirmation?

and please keep the bashing for another post.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 7:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was never slapped at my Confirmation and neither was my mom and she is almost 60. I have no idea what the purpose of slapping a child would be. I would have serious issues if the Bishop slapped my child, religious purpose or not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Vatican II happened before I was confirmed - but the idea of slapping somone at Confirmation was to remind them of the persecution they will have to suffer for Christ. And it wasn't a big slap where one ends up with a red mark or anything - it was more a pat on the cheek. And it's a custom/tradition/discpline so it wasn't done with every Catholic Confirmation.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009