TEMPERATURE IN A 5 WEEK OLD..PLZ HELP

WHAT IS CONSIDERED A FEVER IN A 5 WEEK OLD.....I KEEP GETTIN DIFFERENT EFFIN ANSWER AND IM SOO FRUSTRATED..MY SON HAS BEEN SICK OFF AND ON SINCE HE WAS BORN AND NOW HES GOT A FUNGAL INFECTION ON HIS SKIN..WOULD THAT CAUSE A TEMP? I TOOK IT RECTALLY AND ITS 100.2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• anything above 101 rectally
    Anonymous

• SEE I WAS TOLD THAT THEN SOMEONE ELSE SAID IF ITS A 3 MONTH OR OLDER THEN ITS SUPPOSED TO BE 101 OR HIGHER TO BE A TEMP BUT FOR A SMALLER BABY ANYTHING OVER 100.3
    Anonymous

• it is always anything over 101 even drs will tell you that.
    Anonymous

• That's not really a fever. When you take it rectally you subtract a degree so it would only be 99.2. It's best not to take it rectally. There is the slight risk his rectum could be hurt and he get a very bad infection. Underarm is fine and add a degree.

He has a fungal infection on his skin? Is it candida? Tinea? Ringworm? Did he get the infection at the hospital? Do you think he could have a secondary bacterial infection?

Are you breastfeeding?

I'll check back for your answers and do some research. I'm a health researcher.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I BF AND FF, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND I JUST KNOW ITS NOT RINGWORM.WE HAVE TP PUT SOMETHING LIKE NEOSPORIN AND NASIYTIN(SP?) ON IT 3 TIMES A DAY. .NO HE GOT IT THIS LAST WEEK, HIS LAST HOSPITAL STAY WAS ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGOI WAS TOLD TO TAKE IT RECTALLY BY HIS PED AND THE PEDS FLOOR
    Anonymous

• well some will tell you anything above 100.4 others 101. it depends on your child. WHAT KIND OF FUNGAL INFECTION IS IT. DO U KNOW THE NAME?

OMG GAILL DO U HAVE TO ASKED THE BF QUESTION EVERYTIME!! YOUR LIKE A BROKEN RECORDER!! BY THE WAY OP IF YOU ARENT BF SHE IS PROBABLY GONN SAY THAT THE FUNGAL INFECTION WOULDT HAVE HAPPEN IF YOU HAD BF
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• mmm can u described? let me look in a book i have?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• IT LOOKS GROSS.....LIKE ITS RED AND IT HAD LIKE WHITE BLISTERS THAT HAVE BROKE AND NOW IT LOOKS LIKE SOME CRUST AND SOME JUST REALLY RED, LIKE REDDER THEN THE REST OF IT. I DONT KNOW THE NAME.....
    Anonymous

• I have never let anyone take a rectal temp on my 3 children, now adults. I saw a baby die from rectal perforation when I was working as a Medical Technologist in a hospital. You can ask that it not be done and eveyone has honored my wishes with no problems.

This is from the US Pharmacist website

"Rectal temperatures have long been thought to be the closest estimator of core temperature.4 Environmental temperature does not affect rectal readings and they can be carried out on patients of any age. However, these advantages are counterbalanced by its many problems. The site may be contaminated with bacteria and feces. The procedure is uncomfortable, embarrassing, and carries a risk of rectal perforation.4"
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Poor little guy. Fungus infections can be really irritating. It sounds like it might be candida. Candida is treated with Nystatin. I asked about breastfeeding because he can get it in his mouth and you can get it on your nipples. If you are careful about handwashing then it may not happen.

I have immune deficiencies and had candida in my mouth for months after my baby was born and my baby never got it and it didn't get on my nipples.

Since he was in the hospital he might have gotten it there. You might want to find out if the hospital is having problems with fungal infections. If they are they have probably run all kind of tests on other babies and even the staff and rooms.

Here is an iformation sheet on candida (yeast) with pictures
    http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/candida.shtml

www.kellymom.com is a great website with more info
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009