Terrified

So i'm having a baby in less than a week and i am so scared of dieing during labor. Idk why but that has been my biggest fear, always. I was just wondering if anyone else had that same fear or if i'm crazy? I do not know the stats on how many women die during labor and i think that would scare me even more...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its a 1 in 100,000 chance. Its normal to be nervous with your 1st baby. Just remember your body was made to do this
    Anonymous

• I pray for peace over you, it is not common for a woman to die in labor as it was a long time ago, and with med. technology advanced. It will be ok.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 8:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• That is a normal fear. What you want to do is convince yourself it is going to be fine. You are delivering at a hospital yes?? They are prepared for pretty much anything that could go wrong so no worries there. Sign the consent for blood products if needed. Then just prepare yourself mentally. Keep telling yourself you will see your baby and everything will be ok. The number of women who don't die during birth is far greater than those who do. Your body was made for doing this. Everything is going to be fine. Focus on meeting your baby and holding him/her in your arms. You'll be ok, but you have to believe you will be.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think that is a normal fear for a first time mom. It sounds like you are letting the fear consume you. Fear can actually slow or stop your labor and you can end up having to have a C-Section.

I was terrified of the idea of a C-Section. If you have been watching those on TV I can see why you would be scared of dying. It looks like they are so much rougher than they have to be.

I did everything I could to make sure I wouldn't have a C-Section. I recommend you try to find a Doula. You can find one by doing a google search. She wil help your fears and reduce your risk of a C-Section. If you can't afford the full fees you may be able to find a Doula that charges on a sliding fee schedule or a student Doula that charges little or nothing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• it's extremely unlikely. if you want to lessen the chances even more, do research on how to try to get a normal birth without interventions. the fewer the interventions, the less likely to have a c-section, and the less likely to die. :) but no matter what it is extremely unlikely that you will die.

that said, i worry that myself too. it's a normal fear. there are all these characters in movies and on tv whose moms died giving birth to them just because it's dramatic and it instills that fear in us. be confident, you will do fine :)
    Anonymous

• You are delivering at a hospital yes?? --pp

even if you aren't delivering at a hospital, research has shown just as good outcomes for moms and babies at birthing centers and at home.
    Anonymous

• I had the same fear,Hon. Like the ladies have said, the risk is small. I will pray for you to have a safe, easy(as possible) delivery. Trust in God and yourself, you can do this!
    Blessings to you, your SO, and your gift from Heaven!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• IMO, it REALLY helps to explore the fear so you get move on.
    I mean, actually examine the situations that MIGHT occur that could be dangerous, risky, and find how to avoid them.

Preparation is key, knowledge is power.

Who do you have with you for the birth?
    Have you been reading, been to birth classes, etc?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009