Worried about the wood stove, my son is 13 mos old and very interested

in the flue, and handles (calls them dong dongs and is always trying to play with them) we haven't fired it up yet, but we heat with wood. I always tell him No, Bad, whenever he approaches it, and remove him if I have to. Now he starts saying bad as soon as he gets near it, so at least I have a warning. Does anyone else use a wood stove for heating in the winter? I'm hoping that once he feels the heat coming off it he'll keep away, he's really good about staying back from the oven door when I'm cooking. Any advice would be appreciated, it's getting cold!!

(looked in to child gates, but was told they'd melt)

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 9:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hm, I was going to suggest child gates, too. Could you position them far enough away, maybe? or would it be possible to keep him out of the room where the stove is? gates across the doors?

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• google wood stove child gates, there are quite a few choices.

Here is one: http://thelograck.com/wood_stove_child_safety_screen.html

I only looked at a couple, and they are pricey, but it might solve the worry.

Answer by Bmat at 9:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Don't they make some sort of metal gate? I really don't think that the wooden child gates with the little bit of plastic on them would melt. I know it's hot around those (my grandma had one) but I just can't seeing it melt a gate. Plus you wouldn't put the gate right up on it; you'd want it back a little ways so that it keeps little one from reaching with hand.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I worried about this too. We don't have a wood stove but a fireplace and we use it regularly when it gets cold. So, we were really concerned because ds was so interested in it. This is what we did. When we started it up the first time, I took him a few feet back and said, "hot" then took a step forward and said it again, I did this until I could tell that the temp was really uncomfortable for me. He went near it one time after that, but didn't get too close because he could feel the heat, at which point he looked at me and said, "HOT" and ran away from it. They CAN learn not to go near it, but you have to be proactive. With a wood stove he can't see the flames, so maybe, when it is hot enough to be uncomfortable but not enough to burn, let him touch it. It will hurt a little and just say, "hot". That may be enough to teach him that this hurts and not to go near it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• In all honesty, he will learn what HOT is very quickly as soon as you fire that wood stove up. I understand your safety concern, but you also want him to learn that it is hot. Has he ever just been in the kitchen with you when you are cooking in the oven? Have you showed him that it gets hot? He is old enough to take him close enough to feel the heat and explain to him that the stove will hurt him if he touches it. He has to learn Momma, all will be fine, I never had any problem with my children as soon as they learned hot. :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• They make wooden child gates and if you keep the gates far enough away they should not get warm enough to melt, plastic or wood. Metal I would worry about since it could get warm too. Personally I would just keep an extra eye on him and try the technique of having him touch it when it is only moderately hot and he should learn pretty quickly.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009