My little 10 month old cries when on the changing table, any advise?

I've tried giving him a toy and distracting him. He usually throws the toy and kicks his legs. I have figured out that if I nurse him prior to changing him that works, but that seems like I'm accomidating him a bit much. Other than this he is usually all smiles and easy to please (probably why I can't figure out what to do).

AgentMomi

Asked by AgentMomi at 9:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he can stand, he may prefer that to lying down for the procedure. After about 9mo they have enough depth perception to not step off a chair, can hang onto the back while you 'work around him.'

This suggestion may help later when he can walk and keeps trying to get away the whole time, too...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Is the changing table top warm? Do you have a soft blanket and diaper pad on it? How about a musical mobile over it?
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 9:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Try changing him on the bed and not the table and see if that makes a difference. Some kids just don't like lying on their back. That's why a lot of pediatricians have moms hold the babies during exams instead of lying them on the table.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son sometimes throws a fit too... I give him things that aren't "toys" to play with and it keeps him happy enough most of the time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I usually sing the ABCs. They learn the song and it takes their attention off of whats going on
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I always gave my daughter a little treat when I changed her diaper. I got dora jelly beans and gave her 2 each time i changed her diaper. Worked everytime. I would find something that your child likes maybe even like the little star puffs or something and just keep them at your changing table and give him 2 or more if you like. Also what worked was giving my DD something she wasnt normally allowed to have. Like my cell phone. She was really interested in it and didnt realize. Or try patty cake. Hope this helps :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009