Would you go to a midwife if...

You knew that she was going to an OB for her pregnancy and birth?

I just found out today that 2 midwives in my community are going to my OB to have their babies. Neither of them are high risk. It just makes me worry about how much they trust midwives, because if they can't even trust a midwife (with how much research and knowledge they have about the subject) how can I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• WOW! I wouldn't trust EITHER of them if they have that little faith in their craft. They are obviously in it for the $ not the true meaning of being a midwife. You kind of gotta practice what you preach dont you think? They both sound like hypocrites

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Mid wives are way way way better versed in pregnancy delivery and after care then OB's most OBGYNS graduating have NEVER and may never see a normal pregnancy beginning to end... they dont even know what is normal cause they only see the abnormal
    you should ask who is delivering them... a lot of people go to OBGYNs in their first trimester to ensure fetal well being and also to decide if termination a service not offered by CNM is needed.... I gotto a CNM I got the OB in my delivery b/c my dd was born preterm .... but he really wasnt needed actually I kicked him out lol and if I go for # 3 it will be a homebirth for sure
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Both midwives plan to give birth with the OB in the hospital.
    Anonymous

• MELRN, youre wrong about OBs never seeing a normal birth before practicing. I mean.. first there are clinical rounds and med school (for 4 years), and then a residency (which, if you dont think they see normal pregnancies, youre crazy), and then a fellowship. By any midwife supporters standards, more likely than not, a birth will be completely normal, boring and easy to handle. With those odds, dont you think an OB would have seen AT LEAST ONE before going into practice? Come on.

OBs are quick to spot a problem, and admittedly rush the issue more than midwives, but to say that they arent as competent as midwives? Seriously.

I think its weird that the midwives are seeing Drs themselves, but if they make you feel secure in your pregnancy and prepared for your birth, thats all that matters.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Not all midwives are truly pro-natural. And not all OBs are mega-medicine. Who knows how an individual provider practices...
    I think that if a relationship has been established (perhaps through work), then they might have reason to believe it will be fine (especially if the OB respects the midwife to say what she wants).
    Maybe she wants the epidural or has some risk factor that's too private to disclose.

But honestly~ birthing in a hospital is a bigger concern to me. That is NOT a normal-natural place to birth. If she has a great relationship with her OB that's one thing, but why in a hospital??

And then there are CNMs. Nurse-midwives seem to lean more medically-minded than the out-of-hospital CPMs. CNMs and OBs can have a similar style of practice.

I agree that it's probably pretty rare for doctors to see normal births. Never? I don't know, it will certainly vary. But I would guess not many.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Are there birth centers in the area?
    Is homebirth legal there?
    Are the other practicing midwives schedules' open and available to take them?

I was thinking of other circumstances that might require them to see OBs.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Hmmm...I don't think so.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• no. No way.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• No i wouldn't, i would be looking for another midwife ASAP.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2009