Not a question, just venting...

I stay at home with my children and homeschool them. They are my children from a previous marriage. My dh was trying to adopt them. My dh works long hours. My problem is that he drinks while he is working - all day, every day; then sits around after work drinking with the guys. Last march we got in an argument and he sorta pushed me. I called the cops, he left, we went to marriage counselling. He still drinks no matter what I say or do. He does NOT get angry, or anything like that, but he does not spend any time with us. Every night I look in his eyes, and see that he has been drinking. I am so disappointed with him, and my life. I dont want to leave, cuz the kids' birth dad has nothing to do with them and dh is the only father they have ever known. Is there anyone else out there like me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it gets easy to check out some way, drinking, or watching TV or even working lots of extra hours. It stinks when you have children who need active parenting, because it leaves the other parent feeling alone and lost. I'm sorry this is happening to you! 

I gave my hubby an ultimatum when our son was born.  Prior to that, he had been working a lot of hours.  He felt that it was his job as a father to get promoted at work.  So he took on all kinds of extra assignments and was working late and on weekends.  Our son was very colicky.  I told him that if he continued to work these hours, I was gone.  He got a different job.

I was lucky.  He might have said no way, especially if he loved his job.  I have realized now that honey works better than vinegar. 

Redpumkin

Answer by Redpumkin at 11:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well, sort of, mine drinks all day everyday as well, however he is the bio father of our 2 kids. We fight when he wants to take the kids somewhere, because he always wants to take beer with him. He never comes to any of the extra things the kids do, (soccer, dance ect...) he just wants to hang with his buddies at the "shop" . I don't know how else to tell him how much this bothers me, it feels as though his beer is much more important to him then me and the kids....your not alone,
    Anonymous