I'm wanting to get my child into daycare....

How do you all feel about taking your child to daycare? My dh works during the day and I work at night. Its the only way I am going to get any sleep! My dh is worried that our son may be mistreated at a daycare.

Gavsmama06

Asked by Gavsmama06 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask around where other people send their children... it's a good way to find someone that others know and trust. And then meet with them and see what it's like.
    We send our son to a private in home daycare... much smaller and not as many kids... more of the "mommy" environment for him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• you just have to check them out. i think it's great, my 2yr old BEGS me every day if he can go to daycare, and my 1yr old gets mad at me if i don't drop her off when i drop her brother off. you just have to go in and ask the right questions, like, what is their discipline policy, curriculum, do they potty train, how often do they go to the potty/change diapers, where do they keep their cleaning supplies, and is it locked throughout the day, how often do they wash their cot sheets, when are hands washed, what weather are they not allowed outside (some daycares have it in their handbook, like some say kids can't go outside if it's under 40 degrees. it depends on the area and the weather they're used to), what is their RATIO, this is a big factor, normally it goes by state, and certain amount of kids per adult, like in VA it's 4 babies under 2yrs to one adult, ect. each age bracket is different, as is the state. cont-
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• you can look for places that have internet screenings, where you can log online and use a password to watch your kids there. some states also have websites you can go to, like the state website, and it has a list of the daycares in the state and it shows you when the inspectors visited, if there was anything that was wrong, it was displayed. it explained what it was, how the problem was fixed, ect. of course, most places have a few paperwok that's up there, that's normal. like a mom might have forgotten to bring the child's shot record and they had the child there, i don't consider that to be a big thing when looking for daycares. i look for more important things, like if they had cleaning supplies left unnattended, within reach of the children, they were out of ratio by more than 1 (that's my preference, some are anal about just 1 over, but in reality, sometimes they don't have help with the other teacher has to pee :) cont-
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I used to be a preschool/daycare teacher, so i know about this stuff. if you do decide to put him in daycare, don't make an appt, just go in and say you were in the area and was just wanting to check it out. this takes them off their guard you and you can actually see how they are in action. if you make an appt, they'll make sure that everything is in place before you get there, and that they're on their best behavior. you also want to check it out, see what time nap is, so that you don't go in during that time. you want to do in while they're awake, not when you can't see what they do. (btw, ratio normally doubles for nap time, like for babies instead of 1:4, it's 1:8, but like i said, it depends on the state)

if you decide to do an in home daycare, not only do i suggest the above, but also make sure you know their religious preference as well, so you know what your child will be taught. i hope i've helped. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my son loved his old daycare... he learned so much that it was almost like a pre- preschool. you just have to find the right one and listen to your child... if everyday he crys for longer than 2 seconds after you leave. there is a problem... my son would throw a fit when we got there after asking to go all morning long but as soon as mommy walked out the door he acted like " ok, mommy is gone i can get to the fun"
    rach1404

Answer by rach1404 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We do not believe in daycare so I'll break from the norm and suggest that you look into a mother's helper for a few hours during the day so that you can sleep but can be available to make sure that nothing unfortunate happens to your child. In the alternative, perhaps scale back on your expenses and see where you can cut them. Perhaps that would allow you more hours at home and fewer at work, thus helping the situation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• to the above poster...dude...daycare is a mother's helper! Whether you have someone come to your house (a nanny), take them to an inhome provider, or to an actual daycare facility, that is helping a mom out! :) All those choices could be great. You will just have to see what works best for your family/ Personally, I take my son to a daycare facility on the campus where I work. My son LOVES it there. He also will learn things there that he doesn't want to learn at home. (sleeps perfect without a paci there, drinks from a cup with no lid, etc.) He also loves to tell me about what they did during the day. They go on nature walks, paint pictures, learn shapes, colors and numbers. I don't know why people have such negative views on daycare. If you do your research, background checks with the state, etc. you will find a good one and your child can thrive there...be it in your home, a providers home or an actual daycare.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am a supporter of day care. I think it's great! My daughter has learned so much from being there and she loves her teachers. The stories you hear on the news about kids being mistreated are not the norm. Most of the teachers really love kids and are there to teach and help them grow. I recommend just dropping in. Any place that requires an appointment is a big red flag in my book. See how the kids interact, make sure there are age appriorpiate toys and that the rooms are clean. Once your child starts, stop by at random times to check in (but don't let him see you! He'll think it's time to go home)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I think if he's at least 2 yrs.old it's great. they will be after him for sure .But not if he's younger because the younger ones they don't watch over much. They just leave them in the play pen or cribs. and come and check on them and then leave.again. I know this because my girlfriend just quit her job that she had as a daycare giver where she was at. And she wanted no part of it. She thinks
    it is better to keep the baby with a family member. if you can. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My 4 and 2 year old just started daycare and they seem to like it. I was also nervous about my kids being mistreated but you need to ask for references, ask if you can talk to other parents who take their kids there. Go to the center and observe how they interact with the children and question them on how they handle kids when they misbehave. The center my kids are at now use redirection instead of timeouts. Some places also have cameras in the class and you can go on the internet and check on your child. Good luck!
    Anonymous