does breast milk supply come back after the mistake I made by waiting to long in between feedings?

So I have been breast feeding exclusively for the past 7months, then my baby got urethra crystals, which means he was dehydrated. I think the problem started when my mom said that I didn't have to feed my baby as often as I did, and said I should try every four hours that made it so he got four feedings a day. Now I'm not producing as much as I did and I can tell because in the mornings I was engorged now I'm not. I consulted with a lactation specialist and she said to start feeding him every two hours or when I notice he is hungry and not to feed him water. So I have done this for the last two days. My son is not a very good eater he has always been a snack-er, take a little here and there so its hard for me to decide if he is getting enough. Ive heard the wet diaper theory but really what is considered a wet diaper.

kendafer

Asked by kendafer at 9:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drinks lots of liquids and when he snacks he will stimulate the production of milk. It will be ok

Answer by admckenzie at 10:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes, you're supply will come back. Just make sure you are hydrated and comfortable.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It can take a few days, but yes it will come back.
    Anonymous

• fill up a measuring cup to the half cup marker now pour it into a dry diaper wait 3 minutes and pick it up -- that is the wet you are looking for a minimum of 1 every 5 hours

you should let you baby nurse on demand whenever he wants for as long as he wants- it should only take 24 hours for your supply to be back

if you are nursing correctly you should NEVER feel engorged
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Just nurse on demand. It SHOULD work it self out. And just because you don't feel engorged doesn't mean anything. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Get in bed with baby and do nothing but nurse for a day. Supply surge at the end of the day;.

And no more listening to mom. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I read a study a while back where they asked a collection of women who'd weaned between 3 weeks and 45 years earlier (one woman was post-menopausal and in her 80s) to try to express (using a very effective manual expression technique that they taught them) several times a day for 2 weeks, to see what happened.

The changes that happened during pregnancy that made your breasts into lactating breasts stays changed... they do not revert (ever) to non-lactating breasts. The only thing necessary to stimulate a milk supply is the stimulation required: latching a baby on (or using hands to mimic the motion of baby's jaws).

It helps to spent time with other lactating women, as the hormones are airborne (pheromones) and they affect all women around them, readying their breasts 'in case' mom disappears or dies so someone will be able to feed the baby -- very important before the invention of artificial baby milks.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009