Why do longer school days/years work?

More Schools Turn to Extended Days
By: Ellen Delisio (2007)
Hours of test preparation, especially in underperforming schools, has left little time for electives or even some of the un-tested basic subjects. Adding time to the school day and year has helped some schools improve their scores and flesh out their curriculums.

**School districts have taken the initiative with programs similar to what Obama has proposed as a national initiative with great success. This idea is not new nor untested as you will see from the article dates.

Please read the articles (one is a good op ed).

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/24555

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-405831.html

http://www.sltrib.com/Opinion/ci_13447464

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/24/nyregion/at-trenton-s-year-round-grade-schoolstest-scores-and-attendance-arehigher.html

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 10:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Year round teaching is effective because they say that most kids lose a great majority of what they learned over summer vacation. So that means in the beginning of the year, the first few weeks is just reviewing everything. If they go year round, they still get vacations, just not so long so they are able to remember so much more.
    Anonymous

• They work because they are getting more knowledge put into their heads, and less time in front of the TV or game systems. A quick look at places outside the US that have long school days and year round teaching is enough to convince me even without their test scores (off the chart compared to American kids) that Longer school days and year round teaching works.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I don't want longer days. I would prefer that they give several short breaks instead of one long one.

A nation of day children does not need to spend more time behind desks.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Day should be fat. Damn blackberry.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't believe they want them in school longer for educational purposes. I think they want them longer so they can cram their minds with more political indoctrination crap. If they'd stick to academics they wouldn't need longer days and year round school. It's not going to happen anyway, so nobody has to worry about it.  Even if they do start requiring it, my kids are still going to get their summer vacation, I don't care what they say.  They're MY KIDS NOT the government's.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Wis just the opposite proven elsewhere?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My son has to get up for school at 5 am and arrives home at 3:00pm he has to be in bed by 9 to get adequate rest for the next day so if my son were to arrive home from 6 or 7 pm when would he have any family time or home work time eat dinner. How STUBID is that to think of for our kids

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't believe in year round teaching as it currently works! They still attend school the same amount of days as normal schools! Their breaks are just shorter and more frequent! I do believe that there are not enough hours in the school day! I work at a school and some days simiply there is not enough time! Some of it is scheduling others is an unwillingness to let go of the old way of teaching and move towards a new way! Change is happening and I think as more teachers learn to adapt how they teach we may find more hours in the day! Unnecessary fluff that we all remember in school has to be cut away and replaced with curriculum and skill building moments!
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It is great idea !
    There are many parents who are not there for their kids . Or there are kids who don't have place to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Our kids don't need longer school days/years, they need up-to-date textbooks and teachers who give a crap. My public high school was terrible in that A) most of the teachers didn't even try to motivate the students B) some teachers played faveorites and everyone else could go hang C) the majority of the textbooks were from the 60's because it was more important for the school's money to buy equipment for the football team. Going to school longer wouldn't have changed any of that for me. Once you reach about the 8th grade, most of what they teach you is useless in the real world anyway. I've been out of school 9 years and not once have I needed to use algebra, or recite the Gettysburg address, or dissect a frog. We need updated materials and a practical curriculum, not more hours being recited to.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2009