4 year old talking back

I need some help with my son who is getting into talking back and doesn't like to listen.
Does anyone have any book recommendations that will help?

JoDeeS

Asked by JoDeeS at 10:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd also be interested in knowing. My 3 1/2 girl is getting same way. I need ideas to deal with it. I told her the other day to stop back talking mommy and she looked at me and said how do I forward talk.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would like some info on this topic too...my daughter is getting to be the same way...
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Talking back: Why it happens and what to do about it | BabyCenter

Jul 24, 2009 ... I am having trouble with my son (almost 5) with talking back and trantrums. .... Sweet 4 year old has turned into a sassy mouth! ...
    www.babycenter.com/0_talking-back-why-it-happens-and-what-to-do-about-it_65490.bc -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Stop Back Talk - Now

www.TheTotalTransformation.com      Sick of your child's backtalk? Simple techniques stop it - fast!

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Amazon.com: Talking Back to OCD: The Program That Helps Kids and ...

Talking Back to OCD and over 350000 other books are available for Amazon Kindle .... That's why Talking Back to OCD puts kids and teens in charge. ...
    www.amazon.com/Talking-Back-OCD.../dp/1593853556 -
    vbruno

• I was just checking out The Total Transformation. It looks interesting, although I read that no one really gets anything out of it for the first 3 weeks. Plus this is a very expensive system.
    Does anyone know where I could purchase this cheaper?
    JoDeeS

Answer by JoDeeS at 11:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The girl next door is just turned 4, she talks back to me all the time. I finally told her mother (waste of a mother, sleeps all day) that she can not come over. I don't put up with children talking back to me.

Only suggestions..... make it a rule that they can not interrupt you when you are speaking to someone. If they do start to talk back, firmly tell them they can't argue... they just need to say "yes mom" (something like that).

YOu may need to make a positive reinforcement chart (sticker chart), or take away privlidges.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• How to Talk so Kids Will Listen is an excellent book, and is widely available for $6 second hand.

Positive reinforcement is the absolute best way to stop a child spontaneously (and, later, at any price) doing what it is they're being trained to do. People naturally and automatically resist being controlled. An interesting study in daycares was published last year. Researchers took notes for a week of which children independently went to which activities. The following week they 'rewarded' the kids for doing what they had previously been choosing to do. Before the week was out, the children had all (without exception) stopped doing their previously favoured activities. The follow-up a few weeks later demonstrated that the effects are extremely long-lasting: not one child did what they had only a few weeks before been doing freely by choice.

Communication goes both ways: what is your child trying to tell you?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Keep your composure. Don't overreact to your child's mouthing off or get into a power struggle over his choice of words or his tone. And, of course, never respond in kind. The best way to teach your child to speak respectfully is to do so yourself. So tell him, "I think you can find a better way to say that." A knee-jerk "Don't you talk to me that way, you little brat!," on the other hand, won't set a very good example, and will add to his frustration. Turn a deaf ear. If your child's suddenly turned nasty, don't negotiate, compromise, or even discuss his opinion with him, which will only reinforce the behavior. If, for instance, you're sharing a lively game of Go Fish and he spits out, "This sucks!" when his lucky streak ends, tell him that you won't play with him unless he talks nicely. If he continues to sass, make good on your promise and end the game immediately .
    CACHARRA

Answer by CACHARRA at 1:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009