Calcium vs. 2 year old?

I cant get my 2yr old to drink milk. Plain milk is out of the question. I tried chocolate and strawberry. She even refuses the pediasure! How else can I get her to drink it for those little bones?

Biancalaren

Asked by Biancalaren at 10:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Just make sure she eats plenty of cheese and yougurt. Milk is not the only source of calcium, so she will be fine as long as she gets it from other foods.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Cheese, Yogurt, try making REAL chocolate milk (the kind you have to do on the stove top) spinach, calcium fortified OJ

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• She doesn't need to drink any milk to get calcium. Stop trying to force her to do so. Give her other calcium rich foods. As long as she is eating cheese, yogurt, pudding, ice cream. NO one needs to drink milk. If you are insisting she drink milk, try skim milk, it is not so thick and she will still get the calcium.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My daughter wouldnt drink milk either, even when I warmed it up... She gets yogurt and things, but I triedher on soymilk (because it kinda has that powdery formula taste) and she loves it. Start with plain. My daughter is too young to give chocolate to.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• All the dairy industry shouting about this issue isn't going to have the least effect on reality:

The Calcium In Milk is NOT Available For Humans. We Can't Absorb It.

We need magnesium in a 1:2 ration with calcium in order to absorb calcium. There is no magnesium in milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, cream, ice cream... so the calcium in milk is peed out, not absorbed. It's there --we just can't get it.

Better sources of calcium: meat, vegetables, seeds, beans, nuts, and grains. A full mixed diet will give your daughter all the calcium she needs, and it isn't the huge amount named on the labels because it's based on the useless amount in the 'absolutely necessary' milk products, plus whatever is in other foods. She only needs 'whatever is in other foods.'

This is a push to sell dairy products --nothing to do with calcium intake or health.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (chickpeas are loaded with calcium)

Here is a link to a great website that lists calcium rich foods: http://www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2009