Can My 2 Year Old Drink Apple Cider

So I remember hearing that you shouldn't give your children apple cider. Does anyone know if this is true and why? My son is 2 and we are going to a apple farm tomorrow and just need to know!! THANKS!!

danielleaube

Asked by danielleaube at 11:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Ok here is the deal on cider. Cider that is pasturized is just glorified apple juice, it does not taste the same. The only reason you should use pasturized cider is if you buy it from a local orchard or farm that has livestock. Some apples, pears etc used for cider are picked up off the ground or seconds as they are called. If the farm has livestock you chance getting e-coli in your cider and thus it should be pasturized. Our local orchard does not have animals so they don't pasturize it. My kids have been drinking it for 20 yrs with no problem. Don't keep it too long or it will "harden" on you. Enjoy! Oh, and beware the apple cider trots if you know what I mean.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Hmm... IDK! Why not? Call your ped. before you go to the farm, maybe?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Actually I've never heard that they shouldn't. The only concern I can think of is to be careful with hot apple cider, since kids are clumsy and could spill and burn themselves. I'm sure you wouldn't give your kid cider that was that hot anyway though. Other than that precaution I can't think of any reason why a 2 year old couldn't drink it.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 11:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'd make sure it was pasteurized first. . . after that I think it is okay.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think it is because some apple cider is not pasteurized, and can have bacteria in it. That was what I was told. I am not sure how much that would effect a two year old though. Have fun!
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think that is an issue with the fact it isnt pasteurized. I would be concerned if you were buying it in a store, but since you will be at the farm I dont think that will be an issue.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Fresh apple cider, right from the press, would be okay to drink but if it sits for a long period of time, like bottled cider does, there is risk because unless it's pasteurized. I would limit how much fresh cider he drinks though, because it can act as a laxative or give him a tummy ache!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would just ask them to make sure it is pasteurized because some farms do not pasteurize their cider (just like some sell unpasteurized milk). If its pasteurized it should be fine. And for future reference if you buy it in a store it should say on the bottle PASTEURIZED. That's the only concern I can think of.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Please drink some for me! It is fine, as the pp mentioned, just make sure it is pasturized. Apple orchards take me back to my college days in Upstate, Ny. Don't forget your camera!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009