Is there an increased chance of induction if I get sick??

I am in the last stretch of my pregnancy...one that has had it's ups & downs, & more complications than I would have liked. I wasn't originally expected to get this far (I will be 36weeks tomorrow). My doctor has a close eye on me in case I need to induce (my complications are hypertension, gestational diabetes, & a bicornuate (sp?) uterus AKA heart-shaped uterus). I was wondering, it being flu season & the fact that I usually get it every year pretty badly (with or without the shot, I always get pretty sick) that if I were to get sick before having the baby, would there be an increased chance of induction?? Just wondering since they are already concerned with my health & babies health these last few weeks...would the flu make the situation more critical??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, just a total drag to be sick and not able to truly enjoy your newborn.
    It will be a very special day! I hope you get to enjoy it fully! ;-D

I would suggest taking some more immune-boosters. Like garlic tablets or even raw garlic. Maybe try to drink Emergen-C or similar. A little echinecea perhaps...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I think if you have the flu it's probably better to keep baby in.
    But all those other factors might alter your induction possibilities.

What are you doing to stay as healthy as can be?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have been washing my hands constantly, drinking almost double the water than before, I rest fairly regularly because I'm not suppose to be doing much to begin with, I have been snaking on extra veggies & lean chicken, I take my prenatals as well as extra folic acid & calcium (because I'm lactose intolerant)...Just about everything I can think of (extra ideas are always welcome though hehe).

Why is it that it would be better if he stayed in while I have the flu?? Can he contract the flu on his way out??
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Garlic helps the immune system!?? That is excellent news seeing as I have craved very garlicy things during this pregnancy...I have a 1lb bag of fresh garlic cloves in the fridge as we speak hehe! Thank you for the advice. I hope I'm able to enjoy my delivery to the fullest as well, I'm definitely waiting for the calm after the storm, because honestly it's been so hard to enjoy the pregnancy itself...Thank you again =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2009