If you're cervix is checked too often

can that get things moving for labor?
My OB checked me last thursday then saturday I had false labor and got checked again... false labor again on weds and checked then... went in for my prenatal appointment and the OB checked me again. All those times I stayed at 2 cm. Now I feel aches and pains and tons of contractions but just uncomfortable.

RissBo

Asked by RissBo at 11:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe so, maybe not.
    Personally, I feel like that invasion is more likely to hinder progress.

These exams are so invasive and unnecessary. They don't tell the mom anything useful~ just make her wonder and worry. And introduce bacteria.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Dunno. I never had any, though, with my third child (the only one I went into spontaneous labor with), until I was 40 weeks 5 days. and I went into labor two days after my first one. But with my first child, I had the regular weekly check, and I never went into labor, I was induced. So yeah, I dunno.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I never had any checks with either of my babies prior to labor. The invasivenes is unnecessary, the information is useless, and the possiblilty of infection or getting your membranes stripped without consent is not worth it. Your body will go into labor when ready. Also I have never heard of getting checked that often. That seems like so much, and could very well be irritating your cervix. Just tell him that you don't want to be checked anymore. If he insists, well... it's your body, not his.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It's also normal to have some "on and off" sort of warm-up contractions before you go into active labor. Some women have them for days or weeks before labor. It can be discouraging, especially when you're uncomfortable and really want to hold your baby. But if you look at it as your body "strength-training" for the big show - it's easier to handle. :) All the nurses kept telling me "you'll KNOW when it's real labor" and I just thought they were jerks for ignoring what I thought was real. But, they were right. :) Now I know the difference between practice contractions and active labor contractions. And with my next pregnancy, I look forward to enjoying my last few months (I had them for the last three months last time) of "warm-ups."
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i have incompentent cervix...lost my first at 23w4day(he lived 15hours)so for me those exams are useful. i had them every 2wks tomake sure my cervix WASN'T dilating and they did give me information. i highly doubt it would send you into labor or give you contractions since the whole point in my case is to NOT go into early labor and mine was checked. unless your dr is stretching or scrapping your membranes i don't see any reason why checking your cervix would cause your syptoms. just time yours and if they are regular and don't go from 5min to 8 to 3 min your in labor. can you call l&d instead of going in?
    ramjamnamsmom

Answer by ramjamnamsmom at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2009