We almost died because I freaked out about a raccoon on the side of the road. Ever happened to you?

The stupid thing probably had rabies anyways since it was out in the middle of the day. It was right over the white line on the road and I freaked out " AHHHH RACCOON! DON'T HIT IT!" so my fiance swerved, it was cold and rainy and we almost slid off the road and off of a cliff. It was so by accident, and thinking about it now I shouldn't have said anything since it was probably ill.

Have you ever done something stupid like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL thats fantastic thanks for the laugh
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yea i hate hitting anything in the road and hubby is like DONT do that! u suppose to keep driving ..lol...
    but seriously im glad yall r ok!
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 11:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Glad you are ok, how scary.
    Anonymous

• Scary! But good story, and yes I have done that before.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Nope, because I was taught well you DO NOT SWERVE when there's an animal in the road!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

--------

Oh yeah? What about deer? the ones around here are like 200lbs and will total your car if you are doing 35mph. and they just pop out and you either hit them or swerve

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You know, you always say you won't swerve for an animal, but you know what, I always do. It's stupid, I know. However, it just happens. I don't think I even have time to think before I'm just moving the steering wheel.

I'm glad you guys are okay! Those situations are so scary!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i havent since i had my son but i use to stop in the middle of the road and pick up turtles and move them off the road lol i do yell when there s a squirrel in the road lol but now my SO knows to swerve
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Why wasn't there a guard-rail protecting you from going off the cliff? Seems like you should contact your DOT to get that taken care of.

You actually aren't supposed to swerve. Your reactions are so fast to do so that you won't have the time to check to see if something is coming the other direction or if the road conditions allow for it. Best thing to do is hit the brakes and hope for the best. However, with that being said, I'll admit that I swerve to not hit animals...even those stupid little chipmunks that I swear have a death wish becauset hey are ALWAYS running in front of my car!!

I live in Ohio and our whitetail bucks can definitely get to 200+ pounds. Took pictures of a couple bucks in our front yard just the other day. Gorgeous creatures!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• yea i was taught never to swerve for animals try to brake but never swerve as for a deer id rather have my car in the shop than kill my family
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2009