What type of school should I attend?

This is my goal: I want to become an RN.

I am willing to go about it in any way possible. I would like to get done as soon as possible with school and more onto a career. This is what I am worried about. I have 5 kids. Their ages are 5,3,2,1, and 3 months. My 5 year old is in school from 8am til 2:45 pm. My 3 year old is in school from 12pm-2:45pm. I would like to go while they are in school. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works nights from 6pm to 3 am so night school is out of the question. So really I am just looking for ideas on schools and such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I want to do RN also. u can do it girl! no mattter how many kids u have. u will just have to do it part time.. find a Community college. they are cheaper and better. partime and u should be able to do something thats in the time frame of ur kids getting out of school like 6-1 or something like that 3-4days a week ..depending on whre u live and what schools are avialable.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Some community colleges have some really good starting programs. Problem with nurse course work is that you have to have flexibility to do the course work and intern work, usually interns will get an overnight or late night shift...pretty crappy. So you might have to go at a slower pace with 5 little ones. Which is all the more reason you should look into a community college for cost flexibility and time flexibility
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• online courses, alot of colleges offer that opportunity
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools (like University of Phoenix, Westwood, etc.). They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university. Some have RN programs.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Volunteer at a local hospital to see if it's right for you. Then ask for some advice from nurses there who have gone thru nurses training.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2009