I want to know if Obama is going to make this right.

Alaska senators urge Obama to reconsider militia stance

The Associated Press

Published: October 1st, 2009 09:51 AM
Last Modified: October 1st, 2009 10:02 AM

Alaska's U.S. senators today called on the Obama administration to reconsider its objection to federal retirement pay for World War II veterans who patrolled Alaska when it was a territory.
Sens. Lisa Murkowski, a Republican, and Mark Begich, a Democrat, urged the administration in Senate floor speeches today to change its stance on a provision they inserted in the 2010 Senate Defense Bill to restore pay for 26 elderly members of the Alaska Territorial Guard. Begich said one of the veterans died this week, leaving 25.

FL2AK

Asked by FL2AK at 1:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Only way you're going to know is to wait and see, kjust like the rest of us. I hope he does.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Cont'd. The pay was reduced in January after a law passed by Congress in 2000 was reinterpreted to no longer recognize the guard's service as federal active duty. The administration says the action would establish a precedent of treating service by state employee.

For starters, Alaska was not a state during WW II. Alaska just hit its 50th anniversary of statehood. These men fought bravely for a country that took treated them as second class citizens. Alaska was attacked by the Japanese in WW II. Most history books do not discuss the battle at Attu. How could they deny these now 25 elderly men their benefits by taking them away? I want to see Obama fix this immediately!

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I hope he does. He will definitely get praise from me if he does! fingers crossed!

http://1fattybombatty.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fingers-crossed_sxc-776014.jpg

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I won't hold my breath. BO has made it pretty evident that he has absolutely no respect or concern for our military.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• President has only little power over this issue. Sec.of Defense is the one who should but their retirement pay to the defense budget.
    And OP they lost the pay last month not January. I personally think state of Alaska should PAY them .I live in Alaska and can tell you that so ,so many people treat Alaska Natives like second class citizens. It is just not right. I'm not Alaska Native but I care about them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• All veteran's affairs and programs of the like are run through your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• This program was not run through the state, these funds came directly from the government. Congress is who stopped the payments, not the state.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• To the other Anon, VA is not run by each state, that is a federal program. It has nothing to do with the state.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• All veterans should be paid period.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009