How canI help my son develop his fine motor skills?

My son is 5 months old and has recently begun to reach for things he sees. Does anyone know of any activities I can do with him that would help him develop these skills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• One good thing to do is when you hand him something, hand it across his body. So if you use your right hand, put the object in his right hand, or make him reach. The criss cross of the body motion makes synaptic connections in the brain.
    This is going to sound odd. You can use a cat type toy. Hold it over him to have him reach for it. Mr. Potato Head is a good one for little ones. There are a million toys out there. The key motor skills like cutting and squeezing playdoh are a little far off for him.
    HAVE FUN. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• just keep offering him opportunities to reach for things. When you hand him a rattle or toy put it JUST within his reach and let him make the effort to focus, concentrate, and get his hands and fingers to do what he wants.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Put him on the floor, (something clean and soft, like a blanket) and put things around him. he will reach out to what interest him. Also put him in a high chair, if he can sit (is stable) and put things like pees or puffs, something that he can pick up with his fingers, that will be okay for him to put in his mouth. This will help him learn to pick up things and eat!!! LOL
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• oooo good ideas cloud.
    You can tell that i know what i'm talking about ...but that i've never exercised it! lol
    (mother of 2 boys who grew in my heart, ...not in my belly).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Letting babies grab Cheerios with their fingers to eat are good for fine motor skills.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Uh idk about 5mths though
    heartfrommyson

• The doctor has recommended I wait until he is 7 months old before I give him foods to practice those skills with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2009