• In the Spotlight:

Why do we classify race by skin color?

If skin color is just a genetic trait why not classify race by eye color? Or even blood type? Who decided race was based on skin color?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Just refuse to check the race box. On most things it's not required, you won't get in trouble if you don't. Race is the most easily distinguishable thing to identify people you don't know. It's easily seen if you have white or black or some shade of tan skin. (The WHITE woman in the GREEN coat...) As for why all white people are considered the same, I think it's because when we (our ancestors) came to America, they were supposed to leave their old affiliations behind. They were no longer Germans or Irish or whatever, they were Americans. I don't know why they have Hispanic on the "race" forms, Hispanic is a culture, or actually several cultures, not a race, there are white Hispanics and black Hispanics.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• idk, but i think it's stupid.
    seriously. i mean, stoopid freaking boxes that say African American, Mexican American, Pacific Islander ...blah blah blah ...and then there's one ...White.
    So are all white people the same? never mind that Ireland is way different then Russia or Germany ...We're just White.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• why can't we all just be one race ...HUMAN!
    outstandingLove

• ... TRULY !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It is because most races have certain melanin levels. See a Black person and a White person can both be O+ and a Asian and a Native Alaskan can both have AB so going by blood type won't work. You can not go by Eye color for the fact that not all Irish have green eyes, not all Europeans have Blue, and not all Africans have Brown. BUT you CAN go by Melanin concentration...because White people have the lowest (besides albino) levels of Melanin. Black people have the highest levels. I HTH you.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Because for the very simple fact as you mentioned it's down to genetics. There is no gene that ties all brown eyed people to one region. But there are genes in DNA that place different 'races' to different regions of development. Science ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Because its an obvious difference? Maybe????
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• idk, but i think it's stupid.

Did you know that Arabs are considered "white"? On all government forms Arabs are to check the White box with exception to Eygpt and a few other Arab countries in Africa...they can check the African American box. Strange huh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I've always wondered why Hispanics are considered a different race, but Italians are considered White. They have similar coloring and both have roots in Europe. It makes no sense.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• When I get asked what race I am I always say the HUMAN race ...! I'm also a just American. I think it is stupid to say...Hispanic American, Black American, Asian American. IF you are American that is all you need to SAY!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2009