would it be presumptious of me to make my daughters christmas list?

She will be 18 months in December. We're struggling financially right now [as so many families are] and by then she's going to need clothes and shoes and things. We are of course going to buy her a few things, but I would like to make sure that she gets things that she actually NEEDS. Would that be trite of me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Holidays

• yeah...... thats a litle snotty. be thankful for the things she gets. you could throw something in maybe your siblings, mother father or FIL MILs ear, but i wouldnt make a LIST for her.. what are you going to do hand them out? thats rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• OP here:

yeah, i'm really not trying to be. that's why i asked. i thought of it and also though, well... i don't want to offend anyone! it's not that i'm not thankful. maybe i'll just tell the grands what we're getting her so they don't buy her duplicates unknowingly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• you could do that and it will get a bug in their ear about what you are getting her and maybe that will kinda have them see what she needs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• NO! make different lists so the recipients have choices that aren't the same.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh my not at all.I have 9 nieces and nephews so we, all the parents, put a 35 dollar limit per gift.We have all been fortunate except for one year one family the dad was laid off in Sept.and we all asked what did they need.Glad to help,on Christmas morning everyone had included small toys extra with the clothes.I'd rather give what they really need in times of need.That what families are for.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• We always ask my sister in law and she asks us if the kids NEED anything when we do holiday shopping. That way, if the kids need new clothes or whatever, they can get that instead of a lot of toys. We will usually buy one outfit and one toy for each of her kids anyway for their birthdays and then do a bit more for Christmas, but the year that her daughter was born, they were in debt from the medical bills because my sister in law was having problems with her insurance. So we just got the kids big baskets of clothes, socks, baby soap, diaper wipes and all of that sort of thing. The kids were 7 months and 18 months, so they were just thrilled to take everything out of the baskets. What we do with my son who is 8 and has a very wide array of interests is go to walmart.com and make a wishlist for him there. Then you can just tell people that if they are stuck on ideas, they can check that out. That way you aren't being pushy.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have made a list for my dd so I can remember what she needs. I just write it down when I think of it. When grandparents or aunts and uncles ask I can easily go to the list and give them a few ideas. I dont tell them unless they ask, but Im not good off the top of my head so I refer to the list.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• when i was younger my grandparents always asked for a list for all us kids...when it get's closer i would just let them know hey she really doesn't need toys but she's really in need of clothing and things like that...aunts uncles and grandparents don't want her to go without her needs! a toy isn't going to keep her warm
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It depends on your family. My MIL and FIL ask for lists from everyone and pretty much everything they buy comes from the lists. However, if your family is really prim and proper, it's a bad idea overall.

We have a family website, so we put our list there last year. My daughter's stuff was pretty vague but I included a couple of cute toys I'd see for ideas. We also said she was growing out of a certain size to encourage those buying clothes to buy the next size.

As for duplicate items... save receipts and just take yours back if needed.

And finally... just make sure you don't EXPECT anyone to buy clothes over toys. In all honesty, I know my brother and his wife could find the help they need for essentials, but not so easily for things that are luxuries (like new toys). Personally, I'd rather give something special to play with than an extra something to wear... if they really needed my help, I'd just help, Christmas or not.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009