Weed and breastfeeding

well i just got a call from a friend and she wanted to ask me what happends if she smoked weed and is breastfeeding. well i was pretty pissed and like really? i called her stupid and dumb and all that good stuff, but i still didnt know what to tell her??
so my question is what happends if your breasfeeding and you smoke weed??

stephanie464

Asked by stephanie464 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• ...nothing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• nothing, it doesnt pass through the breastmilk, but its stupid anyway. i would never do it just because it makes you stupid... but it doesnt pass through.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• nothing! baby is fine. Sounds to me like you lost a friend too! There are no known side effects from weed to put with anything! it affects EVERY person differently!!! I love weed, I don't smoke it currently but when I did all my allergies and asthma actually went away! I was able to eat normal food instead of gluten free, dairy free, peanut free highly expensive crappy food. I quit smoking now for 2 years and I'm back on that diet. It's a stress reducer and helps in so many ways. It's not just about getting "high" for many people who do it! My DH uses it when he gets sick... one hit in the morning and his cold/flu is gone. It does a lot more good than harm but no research out there because govt prefers cigs over anything helpful!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• NO KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS MY ASS!! “There is a higher concentration of marijuana in breast milk than in the mother’s bloodstream so these babies are getting a fair amount of marijuana,” said Sarah Kabalka, a registered nurse who specializes in addiction.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• As far as I know, nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I dont know but it is bad parenting. She should be sober for the good of her child. What a selfish immature thing to do. I am a teen mom so people assume I would do crap like that but I wouldnt. Tell her to grow up or someone will report her to CPS for caring for a child and smoking weed. Idk where you are but here that is SO illegal.      

bad

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I can't believe people are saying that nothing will happen to the baby and it won't pass through the milk!

Kellymom says: "The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, will be stored in mom's fat tissues for long periods (weeks to months) and will build up in the body with continued use. Small to moderate secretion into breastmilk has been documented, and THC is concentrated in human milk. According to Hale, analysis of breastmilk from chronic heavy users indicated an eight-fold concentration in milk compared to mom's blood plasma, however the dose received by baby was insufficient to produce significant side effects. Studies have shown significant absorption and metabolism in infants"

Also, babies get affected by the drug through 2nd hand smoke. This is terribly sad.

http://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-for-moms-who-breastfeeding-to-smoke-marijuana_3131.bc
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't care if it is regular tobacco or crack, if you are pregnant and nursing and choose to smoke, snort, puff or shoot any kind of substance you are forcing your child to do drugs with you! Wake up people! You can rationalize this all day long. It still won't matter, in the end you baby is exposed to drugs and that is NOT healthy no matter how you slice it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2009