anyone ever say anything really rude to the doctor or nurse while you were in labor for any reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, after the fact I decided I was rude, sort of...at least I have thought of nicer ways to say it since then. When my son was born, Dr broke my water and announced that the meconium was in the bag with my baby..very stressful, all the support staff were switching gears like it was a very big deal. The second nurse kept speaking to the lead nurse in Filipino, she stopped speaking English...both of them..I snapped and told her she needed to shut the Fu** up if she couldn't speak english. I didn't know what was going on with my baby...he was behind a curtain and we hadnt heard his first cry...I was misdirecting the stress onto this poor girl. She later appologized, as did I...once the dust settled and I knew my son was ok. I still filed an official complaint with the administrator, because I do feel it is awful to exclude a patient from discussions about the care they are receiving by speaking another language.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Cheapsk8 you are right about that - I threw a nurse out of my labor room - when I was having one of the last contractions right before I started to push - I yelled out from the pain, this woman rolled her eyes and said "Oh, it's not THAT bad" - I nearly came off the bed! No, I did not apologize to her later - she did come to apologize to me - and I told her that I forgive her - but I would not accept her apology - that she needed to find a different line of work if she couldn't separate herself and have compassion. I didn't let her off the hook because I had to wonder how many other young mothers she had treated like that - I hope, if she's still a nurse, that she still remembers me - and has treated people better.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yes I was in the bed and I really needed to go pee and she she wouldnt let me get up so I asked if I could have a cat put in and she said not yet so I scooted down to the end of the bed peed on the floor and called her to come clean it up. Then when i was in labor she was telling just pray just pray and I was like I dont wanna fucking pray, I want my epi now and yet she still never gave me any pain meds never gave me my cat or my epi. She was very mean and rude to me I think she did it bc I was a teen mom and "wanted to teach me a lesson." Bc when I had my second child at 22 I went to the same place and she was there and I had no problems what so ever. She really was just desciminating on me the first time.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• LOL...not while i was in labor, but towards the end of my pregnancy...you know the time when you just want the kid out!...i asked if i could be induced and he told me NO, i was like 3 weeks early, but i had horrible heart burn, the baby was so far down the inside of my legs killed me, it was getting hot outside, my back hurt, etc...you know the rest. well HE had the nerve to tell me "I know how you feel" I said "You do? At what point in you life HAVE YOU EVER BEEN 9 MONTHS PREGNANT!" Then my hubby told me to calm down! LOL I hate when male doc say they KNOW how us women feel...they have NOT A SINGLE CLUE!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• with my 1st the nurse was trying to push my knee up to my ear and since my epi didn't work and i could feel everything, i told her "stop pushing my leg it can't go that dar" (i have arthritis in my hips & knees) well she tried again and i hit her, needless to say she left and sent in another nurse lol ( i never apologized b/c i warned her lol)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• far* not dar oops
    josiesmommy00

• No, but I certainly should have and did 'think' a few particularly nasty thoughts. When my first was born I was 15, two weeks shy of 16. All around me while in pain I hear talk of the 'child bride'....well I thought, Damn it! If you will be so quick to condemn ME, why is it that you are not condemning the father (who was 21) and present? Is he not an adult and you should be questioning his actions of say.....nine months ago? Why single me out? I certainly did not get pregnant on my own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yes, I knew how my body felt and I KNEW the baby was coming and told the nurse to get the Doc because I had to push NOW. She told me no I didn't know what I was talking about. I screamed in pain, yes SCREAMED because at this point I had been in labor for 41 hours! She told me to shut up!! I told her to get the hell out of my face. She sent in a male emt and the emt said this baby is coming now, and I had her 10 mins later. I never apologized to that nurse either, and she never apologized to me.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yes, my water broke at 3:00 a.m. which meant off to the hospital. The doc came in around 6:45 with forceps beside him that almost touched the floor. My response (and I really apologize for the language, was "F@@k it, sew it up and I'll let him out when he's 18." He just laughed but after my hormones died down, I realized how rude I had been!
    bjfreeman1

Answer by bjfreeman1 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I called my nurse a frekin idiot just not so nicely.I was only 34 wks i went in they gave a me a shot to stop it and that didnt work then they messed up my IV about 6 times so i was already getting mad. Then i told them that i was feeling sick and i was going to throw up and they just started at me. my DH aske dfor a basin (he used to work in L and D at another hospital) and they told him not to worry about it thell change the sheets. So i puked all over myself and they did nothing. I asked for something to wipe off my face and they shoved a wet rag in my face. Then changed the sheets and my gown. Then they wouldnt give me anything for the pain till i started screeming at them and calling them all frekin idiots. After about 30 min they reliazed how far along i was (34wks) and they didnt have a NICU so i had to be transferd to another hospital that wa an hour away. Not fun when your in labor. cont...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009