How have your standards dropped?

My eldest two never ate chocolate 'til they were 14 months - my 3rd was force-fed smarties by her big bruv at 6 months.

My first only watched half an hour of tv a day - now it's the only way to get tea made and the washing out.

My breasts are now boobs.

I read my first 2 books every day - my 3rd gets a book every two days.

There are loads more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to scrub the house from top to bottom, to ensure that no pet hair got into the baby's mouth..or bedding..
    Now I calmly ask my yourngest to stop licking the cat..Jag doesn't seem to mind..but it drives me nutty...
    I used to sanitize bottles, nipples, breastpump everytime I used them..now if a bottle hits the floor..a good rinse in the sink, or swipe with a wipe on the road..good to go..
    I used to make love..in my bed, with pretty nightclothes..whenever I wanted..
    now I get lucky to get lucky in the bathroom..on the fly..before I shower..without any little helpers.
    There are tons of other things that have changed from "Before" I was really a Mom..and really I wouldn't change a thing..we are havin the time of our lives!
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Surprising how almost have to relax some things to make up for the extra effort in others isn't it. First time parents are always a little more, um, "finicky" , if you will - and they should be left alone about it, but at two kids, three kids and beyond parents have learned a little more, feel more confident in their abilities and begin to find their own compromise that works for them and their children. There was not a lot of change, well heck there was no change. If I had a third now heck, there still might not be any change because my first two are grown and it would be like have baby #1 all over again -......... ahhhhhhh from my lips to Gods ears - would love to have another baby - but I reckon we won't.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh heck yeah. My first (my stepson) I used to read to him every night. Give him a bubble bath that he could play in every night. He got nice meals three times a day (nice as in cooked meals). His carseat was cleaned once a week and he had nice clothes and never left the house looking messy. NOW, my 3 yr. old gets a 10 min. shower with his older brother most nights. He has PB&J for lunch on most days, his carseat has some old french fries in it (oops, need to clean that out) and he wears mostly hand me downs, he also leaves the house most days and is lucky to have on shoes. I have literally had to buy him shoes while we are out because I just couldn't find his darned shoes. He's #4.

I DO still read to them most nights, but there are some nights (like last week) when he got to hear all about cellular respiration and metabolism because I had a test on it that week.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I've gone the opposite direction. I've gotten obsessive over having a clean house. I have them wash their hands all the time. I worry constantly about my kids being correctly buckled in the car. And they still aren't allowed to try soda, artificial sweeteners, or gum. Last year my oldest was in first grade and his class had a bubble gum party. I gave in and let him have gum one time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't think its the standards drop but somewhere along the road you realize there isn't a such thing as a supermom and if there was you're not her. You learn what to worry about and what not to worry about. You go from idealistic to realistic.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Puh-leaze! The first one I wanted to wrap in bubble wrap. By the time #5 rolled around I was letting them juggle knives!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• salexander....you sound just like me!

You just realise that somethings aren't as important as they used to be!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009