What age is too old?????

I was talking to my sister and her kids about haloween and found out both my nieces arent trick or treating this year...my sister thinks they are too old for it now...I completely disagree!!! Her children are 14 and 12(almost 13). I could tell BOTH of them were not happy with this but wont argue with thier mother about it...I feel kinda bad for them! I KNOW if I pressed the issue and told my sister we will take them with us that she would probably relent and let it happen...would i be overstepping? Should i stay out of this and mind my own business or try to help my nieces out? Do you think they are too old??? At what age do you stop letting your kids trick or treat?

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Holidays

• I think you should ask your sister without your neices present. If she doesn't agree then it won't seem like its you and them against her. If she does. HAVE FUN! My kids are 12 & 13 and they both decided that they didn't want to go this year. I think it depends on each person. I was trick or treating even in high school. It was just a fun thing to do.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i trick or treated up into highschool. In our state though you can trick or treat at any age but you can only wear a mask till 13. I think thats crazy to tell kids of any age when to stop trick or treating. I'll be taking my 9 month old this halloween and its kinda trick or treating for me becuase she wont be able to eat the candy, and im 20! I would mention it to her but not in front of your neices and see if she'd be ok with it.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I was like your sister. when my kids hit 12,13. My kids stopped going .I think trick or treating is for young kids. Kids that old should be going to Halloween parties.  And on the flip side. My kids didn't not go trick or treating under school age. My oldest didn't know what it was before kindergarden, so I never brang her.

Answer by louise2 at 7:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I think when they feel they are too old. She is your sister, I think it would be OK to suggest they may still want to go and leave it at that so it doesn't turn into an argument. I stopped at 15. I did sneak in one more at 26. I was in costume and my brother took me. Not one person turned me away, thought it was funny.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• They are old. Elementary level should be the cap. They need to start growing up and acting their age. Your sister is right and has a right to raise her kids the way she thinks is right. Stay out it. Buy them lots of candy day after Halloween sale.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Some ppl never grow up.  eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• honestly me personally well I first off stopped going when I was like 13 just cause I didn't want to go anymore, but I also wasn't big on candy so I didn't care. But to me they aren't to old I remember being in high school and seeing kids come to school with purses full of candy after halloween from trick or treating. I don't think they are ever to young either. My first was 6 months first time I took her she couldn't have the hard candy, but I gave her little pieces of the soft candy and I gave her the suckers hubby and I took the rest. My second was 9 months when she went and we did the same with her they are 21 months and 4.5 now and I will let them go as long as they want to I am not going to make them stop going it is just something fun to do at least they wont be out getting into trouble if they have something to do so why not let them go?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• As long as they put out some effort towards a costume like make up or funny shirt I don't mind any age.Oh and are polite.I always buy 2 Costco bags of candy any way and my children collect so much so I'm happy to get rid of the candy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You're never too old for Trick or Treating! If you "get into" the holiday, wear a costume and say the famed "Trick Or Treat" (followed of course by a Thank You) I'll give you candy at my door. That's like saying you're too old for Christmas. Maybe they'll be allowed a Halloween party or something to celebrate.
    Bummer for your nieces.
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 9:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I trick o' treatd until i was like 13 but I decided that i was too old the next year not my mom. this year i am taking my 3 year old and my 12 yesr old brother isn't going because he DECIDED that he dosen't want to. i think it should all be left up to the kid .
    YeahSoWhat

Answer by YeahSoWhat at 9:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009