Am I the only person who doesn't WANT friends?

I never did have many friends and right now, I have NONE (real life friends). People seemed shocked by this and act as if something is wrong with me, and then I shock them even more when I tell them it's my CHOICE to not have friends.

I simply don't want to be bothered. Friends have drama issues, problems, are clingy and I would rather be left alone to be with my kids and husband.

I don't like hearing other people's problems, having them interrupt me in the middle of something by calling, dropping over or e-mailing me costantly. I like to do what I want to do, when I want to do it and if someone is there, I feel I have to cater to their needs and it pisses me off. When somone comes to visit I can't WAIT for them to leave.

I have a best friend, and that is my husband. I feel no need or desire to have anyone else in my life. We talk. We listen, and we are all the other needs.

Am I the only one like this?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't have lots and lots of friends. I just don't get that involved with other people. I have plenty of family and two very close friends - that's all I need.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• im not like that i dont have a husband. and i have two little kids i need someone else to talk to at times and my family sucks so i need friends but i dont have any
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have 2 really good friends besides my husband but I know what you mean about the drama and interruptions.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• 3rdDay,

If something happened to my husband, then I still have family members I am close to who would be there if I needed them. I just wonder why people need those friends and I guess I'll never understand because I've never felt that way...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I feel the same way. Wasted time in the mall listening to someone's rants over nothing. Then She would want me to go with her while she bought 250 dollars jeans.Then cry the blues that you have no money and you want to come to our summer house in Florida for free?Then repeat everything you said to everyone you knew. Thanks with friends like that ,I 'd rather be alone.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• you are probably not the only one like this.but i would say that something is wrong. maybe guilt over past relationships or sadness that still persists over friends that have hurt you. you can only really be hurt by people you love, weirdly that's a good thing. because it shows you are capable of love. and love in any and all forms is important. ultimately there is only 2 things that are evident and lasting in this world and in everyone's life. Fear or Love. You can't live with both, you seem to have chosen to live in fear rather than in love. Love of another human should be unconditional. if you learn to love another without expecting anything in return i think you'll find yourself in a spot where you might actually want friends again. human relationships are important. God forbid anything happened to your husband. will you be able to (socially)...cont
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• go out in this world and have a conversation with another person? will you have anyone to reach out to in time of need? you as a woman and mother and wife need more than your husband and your husband should take notice of the fact that you need people in your life other than him. maybe i'm getting long winded, but i really think this is a bad choice for anyone to make to separate themselves from society because of "what they do to you".
    Please reconsider your choice here, and make an effort to get back out there and meet some meaningful people and learn to love people (again). It's important.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am the same way.
    I noticed yesterday that I also avoid my relatives.
    When I asked myself why, I realized that it is because someone always wants something from me.
    It has been proven so many times
    Dyssy

Answer by Dyssy at 8:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• one more and then i'll shut up....your kids need to see their parents with friends. when your kids are teenagers they wont want to be with you all the time, they will leave eventually with friends, college, SO's, jobs, maybe even move away. your kids really need to see you interacting normally with others, or they may turn out to be somewhat like you and have no friends either. Do you REALLY want that for your kids? Do you want a funeral where nobody shows up? Do you want a 25th wedding anniversary that nobody notices? When you have surgery, the nurses will wonder why nobody came to see you? I really think it's a fear issue, and I refuse to live in fear. If for some strange reason after death you were forced to live your same life over and over again for 10 lifetimes would you want to do it? If NOT why are living this way one time?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• jewjewbee, it's not like I don't have adult conversations with people. I have worked my entire life and have people I talk to there, but outside of work, I just want them to leave me the hell alone. I like my peace. I like my solitary life and I don't want to be bothered with unnecessary drama. I like my life to be full of love, happiness and contentment and it may be hard to believe, but I get all of that from my own family. I haven't been hurt by anyone, and I'm not afraid to love. I simply don't want my life disrupted.

My husband is the same way and it's nice to have soemone who understands.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2009