Birth Order Question

These things fascinate me so if they bore you, sorry! :P I am one who believes that our children are born with a certain amount of their personality and certainly their spirit. Do you notice this in your kids? And what impact do you think the child's birth order has on their born-with personality?

I ask because my second child seems far more cautious than the first... I wonder if my wild oldest will likely help him navigate that temperament in ways he might not. And I do believe this is a way that God uses people in our lives as well. I mean He knows the heart He gave my children... Amazing how many ways/influences He could use to shape us...

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 8:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• excuse me- I am saying that I think God gave me the children I had, in the order I had them- on purpose. Even those who do not believe in God can identify that birth order affects children. I am saying I think my middle son will have a totally different life experience and possibly a different temperament (something I believe he was born with) based on his birth order.

Does anyone else identify with this or observe it in their own homes?
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 8:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I kinda do I have three kid's and they are all different. My oldest in more out going and laid back, while my middle one is more hyper and has a temper then my youngest well he is just ornery but they are all good kid's, I couldnt imagine my life without them!
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have three kids and they are all different, though I don't know how much of that has to do with birth order and how much it has to do with individual personality. From my kids I am inclined to believe that a lot of personality traits are inherent at birth... my son is the classic 'high needs' kid and he was that way from the start. It wasn't until I had my second baby that I realized how 'intense' ds really is! I do think that the siblings influence each other (sometimes this is good, sometimes not!) and I do think that birth order is a factor in how kids form their personalities and relate to the world, but I don't necessarily think it's the sole criteria. Does that make sense?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I only have one son so far. But i feel like he is going to be one of those kids who wants to know how everything works. Every toy he plays with that makes noise lights up or something pops out of it he has a look like how did it do that then he looks around the whole toy lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Do you notice this in your kids?
    Yes. i do believe kids are born with some genetic personality and spirit.

And what impact do you think the child's birth order has on their born-with personality?
    Well, i never thought it really made much of a difference before. But now i see differently. My SS was an only child, and my little brother (who is a year older) was also being raised as an only child. Then my mom died and so now I am raising my little brother (he is now my oldest son). So, two only cihldren suddenly became brothers. I'm happy that my oldest son IS the big brother. He is suited for it. He likes to lead. My SS would not have done well in that role. But now that he has a big brother he's had a big boost in confidence.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh Ive seen their personality differences since they were growing inside me.

Birth order, I think they have it right LOL. My oldest is definately the outspoken bossy one. My middle boy is more kind to people and tries to make all things right in the world. My youngest is just a good combo of the older two and a little tagalong like the youngest tends to be.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I most definitely believe that birth order affects a child's life, experience within the family unit and helps to mold their character. Of course their individual personality is important. Consider as well the kind of relationship a child has with their parents and caregivers and the type of environment they learn and grow in. And let's not forget our life experiences. There are many things that make us who we are. Birth order is just one of them.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I just get the feeling that God planned them to be born in this order... and that he knows that my cautious son well suited with my spirited oldest :) I think they will help keep each other alive and teach each other how to really live if that makes sense, lol. I tend to worry a lot (something I am working on!) and this just strikes me as one other way that God can influence who we are, what support we may get in life, and how we can be molded into such unique personalities with great purpose. I am like the PP's child who wants to know how every thing works ;)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Kevin Lehman has a book out called the Birth Order book... yes each child has a certain personality that links to the order they were born in.
    Mine is rather confusing.. I was born first to my dad but second to my mom, raised an only child for first 3 yrs then came my sister and was oldest for a yr then raised as an only child age 4-10 yrs old but still raised as the oldest with two half brothers. confused yet?? LOL
    I have only child, oldest child and 2nd child characteristics . My mom had a son before me and put him up for adoption a yr before i was born.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I raised my kids with their Feline-American older brother, and my human son demonstrates an amazing mix of being an oldest child (as my oldest child in the standard socially-recognized sense and of being the middle kid in between his Feline-American brother and their human baby sister. It's a fascinating science experiment, and I wish I had made better notes. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2009