is it finally time? first baby and scared please help

For the past 5 hours I have been having contractions that i can talk through, but they are still painful and strong. Yhey have gotten stronger since time has passed by and closer together.. last about 90 seconds now and are about 5 minutes or less apart. when i get them i feel pain in my back and in the sides of my abdominal area (which both stop when the contractions stop). Laying down, drinking fluids and taking a bath don't work like they did the times before.. and walking or standing up make them worse... I cant even stand up all the way... I called l and d and they said I could come in and be checked if I wanted but the nurse didn't sound to convinced it might be real.. that's the only advice they gave me... does any of this sound familiar to you ladies....? im 38 weeks and 3 days btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would go to L&D it sounds like the real deal! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You don't want to go in too early because you will labor more effectively at home. If you want to get checked try to get into your doctor's office rather than the hospital. Try rocking your hips in any position that works. Use gravity to move that baby down. Be sure your mouth is open and relaxed as you breath. Envision waves. You will get there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• YES! When i went into the hospital with my first they were about 5 mins and sometimes 2 mins apart. When i got there i was 3cm and 75%. So they had me walk the halls, and they got so bad i had to stop and just hold onto my hubby or the rail on the wall. If you want to eat anything do that first because they wont let you eat until you have the baby!!!! and sometimes they wont let you drink either, they didnt even want me to have ice chips! also when they get really bad try to "slow dance" with your hubby. It helps a little, remember to breath!! that is so important. make yourself as comfy as possible and get ready for the long haul! If you can take a nap, if not i say go in! if they are dialated they may break your water for you! good luck and congrats mommy! its not as horrible as you may imagine! Atleast i didnt think it was!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Congrats Mom - sounds like you're about to have a bundle in your arms.... At 5 minutes apart - get off the computer and go to the hospital.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sounds like its time to me! Good luck hun and get in there!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Try not to be scared~ you knew it would come eventually.
    Your body can do this, it really can, no need to worry and stress yourself.
    Let nature take over and focus on relaxation.
    Try water~ shower, tub, whatever you like, keep calm and try to enjoy this time!

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i would wait. it does sound like it might be real labor, but if you go in and then labor stalls, they might try to augment your labor which i would not want. :) i would just labor at home until the contractions were really really intense. since it's your first, you most likely will have pleeeeeenty of time. good luck! oh and be confident, your body will know what to do. i was nervous too btw but my labor was a wonderful experience ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Ahem. I am an L&D nurse, and I can tell you why she may have come off like that. We are trained to know when labor is coming, and if it sounds like you can do some work at home, we have to suggest you do it as long as possible. I would call back and tell them how long you've been having them, how long they are lasting and how far apart. Because it's your first baby, it's unlikely that you will have your baby before your due date, but everyone is different. Good luck!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It sounds like real labor, but, I would definitely stay home as long as humanly possible so they don't give you an infection or drugs that will definitely have side effects. You will know when labor is getting much more intense without timing it. You are likely to take quite a while even at home since this is your first.

You can eat and drink. There is no danger. They just do not want it because they hate being puked on and hate being puked on when they give c-sections to people. Have someone get you something to drink/eat and eat/drink it if you want! Get up and get it yourself if they won't. Seriously. You are not 3 years old and you can do what you want.

Watch how well they wash their hands. Labor also hurts 10x worse with your water broken.. So if they offer to break your water or drag out a hook - just say NO! Babies can be born inside the sac! I WAS!

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• And since your water isn't broken yet.

Why don't you check yourself ?

Look up "checking your own cervix" .. it's not dangerous in any way if you wash your hands well - (did you have sex whilst pregnant? If so, this is no different!) The L&D nurses do not use sterile anything when checking cervixes with waters already broken - so there is no harm in checking it yourself with waters in tact.

You'll find out if you're dialating at all. If you're not, you obviously have a long way to go and maybe you'll relax more. :)
    Anonymous