Cloth Diapers VS Disposable

As the oldest of 8 kids - all of whom were in cloth diapers - I swore I'd never touch cloth diapers again, 21 years was enough! But now I'm expecting my first, and economically it's looking like disposable diapers might be a little too much for the budget. Thoughts? Ways to improve the oh so distasteful touch/smell/sight of dealing with cloth diapers?

notreadyyet

Asked by notreadyyet at 9:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wrote this yesterday in another group.

There are so many options out there. It depends on preference though. I use AIO (all in one) diapers. They are very much like disposable diapers. They either snap or velcro shut, and don't require a cover or an insert. I wash them in the machine, most of the time, just a load of diapers. I use hot water, a scoop or two of oxyclean, and whatever detergent I have. NO fabric softener. I dry then normally in the dryer. I do sometimes use contours or prefolds with a cover. I wash those the same way. Prefolds are the rectangular ones, that are thicker in the middle. You sort of fold it onto the baby, and fasten it with pins, or a snappi, and cover with a waterproof cover.

cont
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Contours are sort of like, prefolds that are already shaped like a diaper. They also need to be fastened and covered. I personally really like Green & Comfy for my AIO's and I get them on eBay, usually for just a few bucks. I do have a few others from different sellers, but I like and use these the most.
    Krysta622

• I used cloth diapers, and one of the "tricks" that helped me - mind you, you can only do this when your lo is NOT up and able to get into things - and I kept them in the garage when we had our first.

You get a pair of rubber gloves and a small waste paper basket and a larger (but not too big) garbage can. You rinse the diaper right away (wearing the gloves), then you put the diaper in the little can to carry it out (so it doesn't drip) to the bigger can in the hall, where you have some bleach water in there (not a lot of bleach). Put it in there. Then you dump the whole thing in the wash and spin the bleach water out and then wash them (like the pp said) we didn't have oxyclean when our kids were little, so we used bleach. Wash them on hot, and do an extra rinse.

Make sure to clean the cans regularly.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I liked using a service for the first 3 months with each baby. (But was using coin-op in my apartment building.) It was easier than the extra laundry, soaking, the mustard poo... After that, I did wash my own.
    The AIO is a great idea, but I have been a prefold user, mainly.
    And I used vinegar, not bleach, don't like chemicals.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Cloth diaper are better if you want to save money. But disposable diapers are easier to do and get it over with. So it's more for your confort. I did both.. I did cloth during the day and disposables at night or if we had to go out. It's really up to you ,so do whatever is more comfortable for you.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I use disposable diapers. I used cloth at first but it ended up being a big hassle considering I have to go to the laundry mat, and I looked into the the full service places and decided it was just as cheap for us to use disposable.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• cloth diapering is not like how you remember it...i use prefolds and covers (thirsties brand)...i have a WATERPROOF laundry bag to put them...i actually RARELY even touch the diapers after he soils them...i put them in the bag and throw them in the wash every night (before they start smelling...my mom spent $160 on several used prefolds and covers and those will last us until he is at least 6 months old, maybe longer...i have friends who spend $200 a month on disposables so i'm definitely saving money, especially since my mom bought them as a gift...join a cloth diapering group on here to learn more
    Anonymous