17% unemployment

That's the real number right now. The U-6 is the number adjusted for all out of work people instead of only counting the ones who get unemployment checks. How's that stimulus working for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People keep saying things are getting better, but unemployment keeps going up. Many small businesses are struggling to stay open; all those unemployed people will NOT be spending money this fall and many more businesses will close their doors by January.

Cash for Clunkers was said to be a complete success, but the people who worked for Saturn and are now on unemployment may disagree. Things won't be getting better until people get back to work.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Hmmm...and "under-employed" is something I think they should be interested in noting as well too. People who once were working FULL time, whose hours have been cut due to the economy.

SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 9:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am in school getting ready to work when I graduate and my SO is working. I am irritated and disgusted by how many lazy dumb people get unemployment checks and food stamps because they dont want to work. I think people should only get disability. If you are capable of working...do it. The people have to try too.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sucks.

Reduce my tax, I'll hire someone.

By the way, if we stop spitting in God's face, things might get a little better.
    Make Obama clear his administration of pedophiles, tax cheats, abortion lovers etc., etc., etc.,.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am in school getting ready to work when I graduate

Good luck with that. I am irritated and disgusted by naive idiots who think 30 million people are unemployed because they are lazy. What planet do you live on?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• This is really interesting I have a niece with a journalism degree in the Cleveland area. Her regular hours were cut a bit so she did some freelance work to write an article. She applied for ( I think) 47 jobs of all skills from minimum wage work to Business. Granted she is young, attractive no kids and stated she would work anything anytime. She got called back for almost every postition and offered a job where she in turn rejected the job and did a brief interview instead of why she was offered a job in the Cleveland area where unemployment was supposed to be in high numbers. The article should come out in about 6 weeks. Anyway she was told ( she listed she was currently employed) basically the shed employees were business deadbeats, and in this economy a person already with a job was more valuable than someone not with a job and worth keeping during a bad economy at any place of work. U have to have a job to get a job?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• If you are capable of working...do it.

Sorry the magic job fairy hasn't gotten here to pull 40,000 jobs out of her ass yet. You can't work when there are no jobs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• How was it calculated in 1983 when it was the same number?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• WRONG

Its 9.8%

The 17% would be the unemployment rate if you included peeople who worked part-time aka under-employed.

If laid-off workers who have settled for part-time work or have given up looking for new jobs are included, the unemployment rate rose to 17 percent, the highest on records dating from 1994. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33135910/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh, thanks, that's better.......................................

Double talk.

On purpose.

liar Libs all do it................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009