I need help with my picky eater!!!!

My son is almost 18months old and has become quite the picky eater. The only meal that isn't a struggle is breakfast. I don't know what to do. I fix him a lunch/dinner that I know he likes and he will refuse to eat it. He won't even take a bite. We have a dinner stand off every single night. I'm not one of those moms that will continue to fix him several meals until he decides to eat.....my theory is this is dinner and your going to eat. That may sound kind of harsh, but the ped. said that is what I should be doing if I don't want a picky eater. But he has become one anyway. He will refuse dinner and then point to the cabinate and want a snack. I say no and he gets mad. I just don't know what to do. I want him to be getting the right nutrition, but I don't want to give in to his fits. Please help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same. I give her pediasure at least once a day. I tell her its a milkshake! lol She LOVES it! Also try fruits and veggies. My daughter will take that over meat anyday.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• What I did with my picky eaters was put all the nutrition in a blender and fed it to them while telling them a story that mesmerzed them enough to open their mouth without noticing they were eating.

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I used to just make food look fun and that helped but I like the Jessica Seinfeld book that sneaks good food into meals. My pediatricians over the years said kids will eat when they are hungry. I have found that to be true but if the kids got stubborn the health dept nutritionist said to give them ice cream to make sure they got something in their system and they got their calcium. That worked and they got sick of ice cream and went back to eating what the others in the family were eating. Of course me made sounds like YUM to make them think they were missing out! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Well, you are doing exactly what you are suppose to do - be the parent. DONT give in to his fits. Try letting him grab the food and drink. DOnt offer it to him, let him decide when he is going to eat it. If he has a fit take it away until he has calmed down and is ready to eat. Also you want to make sure that he isnt eating too late and is just tired. Make sure he has used the potty, and that there are no distractions such as TV to take away him attention on eating. Let him see everyone else eating. Enphasize "uuummm, this is good!" That usually works with my 14 mo old, who does the same thing!!!!!!!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It's normal for toddlers to be picky eaters. If your toddler is normal weight then there is less to worry about. If your toddler is small, you have to make sure they eat! If your toddler is no longer breastfeeding, you have to provide balanced nutrition.

He is just a little guy and you are being way too harsh about this. You are'nt one of those moms that make several meal until he decides to eat. Why not? How hard is it to make a meal for a toddler. Does it take all of 10 min?

I have a toddler grandson I take care of several days a week. He has a rare genetic illness that causes toddlers to grow slow. We have to feed him often. I save leftovers for him and keep things on hand. It's no big deal to make toddler food.

You don't realize how lucky you are to have a healthy child. Don't be so harsh! My grandson may not live to be an adult. We treasure every day and treat him with kindness.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• my friend also has a picky toddler and he would only eat lunch but now he eats dinner to i think you stick to what your doing and eventually he will eat it meanwhile try to give him a fairly big breakfast so he stil gets some nutrition
    RIPzoemommy

Answer by RIPzoemommy at 10:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I too have a picky eater. Always has been. Turns out he is on the Autism Spectrum. He also has a sensory processing disorder. Im glad I chose to give him a variety of things to get him to eat. It turned out he wasnt just being difficult because he wanted too, it was just part of the way he is. But now, even though it has taken many years, he is slowly getting to where he is eating and accepting a variety of foods. In fact, he just ate his first ribeye steak a couple of weeks ago and loved it.
    I dont want him to have an unhealthy relationship towards food, so I have and will continue to do whatever it takes to see that he doesnt associate meal times with anything negative. Meal times, as challenging as it may be to me on the inside, will always be fun, relaxed and pleasant to him.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 10:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• when i make dinner i always put a varity on my 16month olds plate,she likes green beans,any kind of noodles. does he us a spoon or fork and eat by himself? my lil one loves feeding herself.she alos loves diping stuff ike french fries in kechup. im going to keep feedingm y baby girl varities until she is a little older to understand she needs to eat what is made.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• ok, first, like i had to say about gaill on another post- ignore her. she isn't god, but somehow feels like she is, and needs to put every one else down. hopefully she grows out of it.

Mine eat what i make for supper, we work on a budget, and they eat what is provided them. if they do not like it, they get it reheated for their next meal. this is how i have always been with food. they know that they are not getting a separate meal from every one else... thats just how it works, no arguments, and they're usually happy enough to eat.

if a child is hungry, they WILL eat. even if it is not something they LIKE to eat. and there is NOTHING wrong with waiting them out a couple of meals until they do. you may have to do that several times, but he WILL eat, rest assured in that knowledge. be consistent- don't give in.

it will not have any long term effects on him if he misses a couple of meals until you get it all sorted out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Scenes from Mommy Dearest are coming to my head for some reason....
    [Christina has a bloody piece of steak on her lunch plate]
    Joan Crawford: Christina, you haven't touched your lunch.
    Christina Crawford: It's raw.
    Joan Crawford: It's rare, not raw.
    Christina Crawford: But it's got all this red juice when you push on it.
    Joan Crawford: Then don't push on it. Darling, rare meat is good for you. The doctor said so. Christina, meat loses its vitamins if it's overcooked.
    Christina Crawford: But I've had my vitamins this morning. Pills.
    Joan Crawford: [to Carol-Ann] She negotiates everything like a ****mn Hollywood agent. Christina, eat your lunch. You are not getting up from this table until you have finished that meat.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2009